Sign in to follow this  
Guest Marick626

Aerosoft Beaver X

Hello Mr. Shyluk,The review on the beaver was nicely written but I have a few concerns I think you should be aware of.1. In the review you state that if I don't own the trackIR, quote "Aerosoft BeaverX is perhaps going to be a monumental disappointment to you". I don't own a TrackIR and even though I am planning on purchaseing it in the future, beleive it or not I almost never use the 2d cockpit. So I think that statement was unnecesary because I think the addon is great eitherway. 2. Some problems I encountered in the "What I Don't Like About The Beaver X"-"Surreal Pier 39 scenery was difficult to fly in and out of": I think this is not important because you pay for the plane, the scenery is extra, and if it has bugs, well you didnt really pay for it. Get my point?-"No passengers or visual cargo in cargo hold (except for cropduster)" I would be thankful for this because FSx is hardware demanding as it is. Adding more polygons would probably ruin the experience.-"Difficulty to see spray effects in some views"What views? i think as long as you can see spray in exterior view, this is an unnecesary coment.-------------------------------------------This is friendly criticism, mind you.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Thank you for your opinions! I really do appreciate when readers take the time to constrcutively comment on what I write, as it will (hopefully) help me be a better reviewer. I won't promise to agree with everything the readers suggest, but I can try to clarify things that might be unclear in my review. Brevity is not one of my virtues, so it's always been kind of a wrestling match between me and my review as to what to keep from my flight notes and what to cut. I think Point 2 falls under that category - the Pier 39 scenery isn't all that important to the BeaverX experience. After I wrote that section, I spent quite a while deciding as to whether or not to keep it in the review. I figured I'd rather keep it in and make the comment, rather than have people e-mailing me and telling me that I missed telling them about the feature. I would prefer to comment on everything I find in the program and let you the reader decide how important it is to you, although I do have my own opinions.That leads me to Point 1, which is just my opinion. As a reviewer, I do feel compelled to share them with my readers, opinions that is. I would never presume to expect everyone to agree with my feelings on any given matter. I think it's the best thing for my reviews if people who disagree DO post their thoughts, as long as they do so in a constructive manner, as you have. That way, the AVSIM readers will get the benefit of more points of view, especially the readers who do not agree with me in the first place.As to Point 3, there's a part of my review that unfortunately must be unclear. The viewpoints I refer to are just about any one of them that you can get by moving the joystick hat or the TrackIR about in any external view. The screenshots showing the effect have very deliberate composition -- I had to carefully line up the shots so that the vapour would appear to trail from the airplane. So there are some very specific viewing angles that don't have names that allow the sim pilot to see the vapour effect. Any other viewing angle and the effect simply disappears. It's a known bug in FSX that has an unfortunate effect for the BeaverX, and in my opinion, it's a bug that is even more exasperating when I use my TrackIR. Here's to hoping this issue gets fixed in SP1!Jeff Shyluk Avsim Product Reviewer

It's a known bug in FSX that has an>unfortunate effect for the BeaverX, and in my opinion, it's a>bug that is even more exasperating when I use my TrackIR.>Here's to hoping this issue gets fixed in SP1!>>Jeff Shyluk >Avsim Product ReviewerI'd have to agree with you there, Jeff - it's an issue that I discussed with Mathijs Kok while reviewing the BeaverX for Nick Churchill's Screenshotartist site - I think everyone hopes that it's one which will get fixed, as it affects a lot of effects (I think I got those two the right way round, dratted English language! ;-)) such as landing lights and similar as well, on a lot of aircraft.Although I didn't find Pier 39 difficult to fly out of, I did find some considerable issues with it which, again, I think they're waiting to see what comes out of SP1 before trying to fix.Cheers.Ian P.