Sign in to follow this  

#4 RTW Race Thread #4

The race continues here. The baton is currently in the hands of Matt Johnson and he is headed for WAPP out of RPMD.This excellent map was created by Matt Johnson to illustrate the race progress of both teams. http://www.avsim.com/~mattj/map/NOTICE TO AIRMEN #1: Make sure you reply to this post when you make your I HAVE THE BATON post. Thank You.NOTICE TO AIRMEN #2: Please refrain from making flight reservations. Others want to join in on the race, and it is unfair to them because they feel they can not take the baton once the most recent LANDING post has been made because they do not want to take it from someone who has "claimed the next leg." If you get the baton before anyone else, then it's your and you can fly the next leg.NOTICE TO AIRMEN #3: Pilots who are taking the baton do not have to fly to the airport suggested by another pilot. It is a good idea to fly as far as you can in the two hours, but there are no predesignated destinations. Fly as far as you can in the two hours in the general direction TEAM AVSIM is flying.NOTICE TO AIRMEN #4: Try to limit the number of screenshots and posts you make regarding one leg of the race to reduce clutter. Edit your posts as necessary.---------------------------------------------The flightsim thread is located here:http://www.flightsimnetwork.com/dcforum/DC...ID10/36716.htmlKeep it moving guys!THE RULESObjective:To be the first forum to successfully complete (and authenticate) a series of flights around the world. It

Guest Matt Johnson

Enroute RPMD to WAPP. ETA 2345Z.

All,(Repeating from earlier version of the thread. We have informal procedures so that we can catch up with Flightsim.com who got about 2,500 miles head start and, alas, are flying West to East with the prevailing winds.)Here are some suggested procedures for the Ready Room.We do need to sort out who will fly each leg before the previous pilot lands. We seem to have handled this amicably so far by talking it through. (Please work this out well before the next flight.)In order to work on our "baton handoff", how about having the next pilot sitting on the tarmac, engines ticking over, with flightplan loaded and ready to go. At about 10 minutes before the ETA, the "ready pilot" signals to the forum that he's poised for action.At the same time, the landing pilot signals that he's in approach and gives a firmer ETA. The "ready pilot" can confirm.Once the prior pilot lands, the new carrier signals via the forum that he's off. (For the next leg's planning, the new pilot should give the destination and ETA and perhaps his aircraft.)We just want to confirm that the ready pilot is about to take off--so that we don't fumble any handoffs. We might even have a backup "ready pilot" so that we can keep moving even if the first one in line has a Real World disaster.Best,Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

>>Enroute???? You're flying???? You ain't got time for no flying!!! Get back to coding chop chop!!! :-lol

Francisco Leitao has volunteered for the next leg.Francisco, before you take off, might you please let us know your next destination and approximate ETA so we all can plan the next stage.Matt is due into WAPP at about 2315Z. It looks to be a beautiful morning in Ambon--with a few clouds to spice up the tropical sky. (As you know, Ambon as been the scene of considerable violence in recent years. No sign of anything irregular this morning, though.)Francisco, would you be so kind as to get your King Air (?) warmed up, flightplan loaded, sitting on the tarmac ready to go. Our usual procedures try to smooth out fast tansfers. (I think that track coaches talk about this sort of thing :-hah )Good to have you on the crew!Best,Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Guest Matt Johnson

Seriously, this is the first time I've actually "flown" in -ETOOMANYMONTHS. ;-)--M

Guest Matt Johnson

Running late. Current ETA is likely to be 2340Z... burning as much gas as I dare, but as of right now (2222Z) I'm 402nm out at 290knots groundspeed.

Guest Matt Johnson

Guys,No way I'll make WAPP in a reasonable amount of time. Francisco, pick up from WAMT and take her south!ETA WAMT should be 2300-2315Z.--M

Francisco, can you confirm that you will take the next leg?Do you suppose that you'll be able to get to Darwin (YPDN)? You may certainly take a little over 2 hours--obviously no need to land in the ocean to meet the time constraint. :-hahAs you can see, Matt is running a bit late.Anyone else out there who is willing to volunteer to move the baton along? If Francisco can take the baton on the WAPP-YPDN leg, then the next flight will be at about 0200Z (Thursday) or about 9:00 PM EST on Wednesday night. Best,Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Guest Matt Johnson

Be advised... I'm way too late into WAPP, so I'm moving the baton to WAMT, which is enroute to WAPP. Should make WAMT before 2300Z.--M

Matt,I'll be following the previous suggestion and making into Darwin (YPDN).I was innitially thinking of Curtin (YCIN) but that would get us too south to make it back through the indonesian islands (seems the only way possible).My ETA will be somhwere near 01.30 Z with a more certain estimate once i'm on the air.RegardsFrancisco Leit

Is anyone willing to take a quick emergency run from WAMT to WAPP?This is 276 nm. A nice fast run for someone in a P-51 or P-38. Then Francisco can make his WAPP-YPDN leg in good order.Volunteers, anyone? MikeMatt, if no one is able to pick up the baton right now, can you coax the extra distance from your fuel tanks?

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Just one thing guys, I didn't quite understand what time should i fly, e.g. should i fly the correspondant time to 2300Z in that area (+10 Hours) or should i fly 2300Z in that area ?I continue to estimate Darwin as destination, being the ETA still around 0130ZRegardsFrancisco Leit

Guest Matt Johnson

Landed WAMT (Babullah) 2258Z. The baton is free.Not sure why flight analysis chopped off the first bit of the flight, but here's the screenie.

Francisco,Not sure about your question. You should be flying the "real" local time. Set you FS2002 clock to system time and alls should be well.(That is: Options|Settings|General|System Time)Hope this helps.Will you be able to take over from Matt wherever he lands? It is a very long way to Darwin.The Baton is Free. Go for it!Thanks,Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1