Sign in to follow this  

#4 RTW Race Thread #4

Yes, that is correct, you need to touch the mainland of Europe, islands do not count.I would add that there are spots in Europe that are closer to your route than Sparta would be. ;-)

dcc,Wow! That is great speed. What are you flying (that is, which P-38)? I'd love to get to learn more about the craft and how to employ drop tanks.This is truly impressive stuff for our group!Is there anyone who wants to start thinking about taking over from dcc at about 0600Z (1:00 AM EST)?Remember, no reservations. But it would be nice to have someone waiting on the ground with engines ticking over.Volunteers?Best,Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Guest dcc

Mike,I'm flying a P-38F-1-LO, 'Glacier Girl' It's part of a package of three P-38s. You can d/l it from here at avsim or at my site (www.kazoku.org/xp-38n).Flight progress: I'm nearing the halfway point: ETE 1:05- dcc

I guess I'd be interested if no one else grabs it.But I haven't signed up for VATSIM or any on-line flying.Woodreau / KMVL

Woodreau,No need to do VATSIM for this race.(Though you might check the rules at the top of the overall thread just to be sure you've got everything under control.)Then, post about 10 minutes before dcc's ETA that you are reading on the tarmac at WRSJ and are eager to fly for the AVSIM team. While there are no reservations, one hopes that if you are ready to lift off when dcc lands you will get the baton.(Hopefully, dcc will post a heads-up as he approaches WRSJ.)When you get the baton handoff from dcc, post a "reply" to the "rules" message at the top of the thread. That reply should have a heading: "I Have Baton: WRSJ-XXXX".Then west for as long as you can go in 2 hours.It will be great to have you on the crew. Are you interested?Best,Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Even if Crete doesn't count, Malta is an independent European country so must count :-)

Malta is an independent country that's part of Europe, and as such should count...Or we could use Reggio Calabria (LICR) instead).

Roger,I am willing to undertake this task :)I intend to use the default King Air 350, (I just using the basic package I'm really not into FS as much as you guys) but this RTW race intrigued me.Looks like I can get about 280kts ground speed so any ideas as to any airports within 560mi of WRSJ? I thought about WSSS, but direct flight its about 700, so it's over the 2 hours limit, even though direct flight is over the water.Woodreau / KMVL

All,Here is a suggestion for this morning's route. (Remember, each pilot can make his own plans

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

That's pretty much what I had in mind as well.Can you take a leg, I won't be available for 7 or so hours due to realworld obligations, after which I'll have the Starship ready for some long overwater flying.P.S. if we're going to be real cheesy, we could go direct from Sri Lanka to Goa in India and from there to Masirah island off the coast of Yemen. Cuts off most of the Indian Ocean but is another 1200nm overwater :-lol

Warmed up and waiting... I think I'll go to WIPPLet me know when you get in.Do I go when he's landed or do I go when he's posted his screenshot?Woodreau ?

Woodreau,Great to hear.In practice--with the King Air--one might expect to cover 350-420 miles in a 2 hour flight (with takeoff, ascent, descent, and landing).Here are some options. WIIH (Jakarta's old civil field) 358 nm.WIKD 410 nm. (No ILS here, but there is a VOR and NDB.)and, if you're really cooking, WIPP at 553 nm.Look forward to following your journey.Blue Skies,Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Woodreau,You can leave when he says that he's landed. (Not approching, but landing--he may have to go around.) dcc can post confirmatory screen shots when he does extra pictoral work.M.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1