Sign in to follow this  

Avsim vs FlightSim RTW Race Thread #7

Good thinking. Southern Algeria and Northern Mauretania aren't the safest places in the world to be.

All,The next "big challenge" is the hop over the South Atlantic. This is worth thinking about.Our current tentative plan is to fly GVAC-SNIA -- a flight of 1811 nm. I am not sure that our current aircraft can make such a long leap safely. (And SNIA is not a real altenative in any case. It is a small dirt airstrip.)Let me propose 3 alternatives.1. We expand our list of possible aircraft. The rules allow for 4 engined PISTON aircraft (not TURBOPROPs). So if anyone has experience with, say, a Lockheed Constellation--well that would fit the bill nicely! As a first option, jumping the Atlantic directly like this is quite attractive -- if we have the ability to do so.Is there anyone out there who has flown a PISTON prop 1900 nm? Can you be ready at GVAC to make the flight?If we use Option 1, we need a major airport (rather than SNIA, the dirt strip.) I suggest nearby Belem's SBBE.2. A second option would be to slightly shorten the trans-Atlantic leg. Substitute GVAC-SBFZ (instead of GVAC-SNIA). This is the "traditional" South Atlantic jump--from the Cape Verde Islands to Fortaleza in Brazil. GVAC-SBFZ is still 1539 nm. So we do need a long-range aircraft ready to make the jump. But this shorter distance might be more within our range.3. Finally, we can take advantage of a small island in the South Atlantic, Fernando de Noronha, and its airport SBFN. The GVAC-SBFN hop is"only" 1357 nm. We can almost surely do this in a Cheyenne or similar. (Though I am not genuinely knowledgable about this.) So the 3 options seem to be:GVAC-SBBE 1861 nmGVAC-SBFZ 1539 nmGVAC-SBFN 1357 nmCan someone who knows something about aircraft ranges check out what sort of aircraft we need. And which of our pilots had the ability to safely make this long jump? And who can volunteer to be there on time and put in the long seat time?Remember, if the pilot crashes we have to go back to GVAC and start again. This flight, made at economy cruise speed, is going to take from 7-9 hours and we don't want to have to repeat the effort!!! So we do need to be careful about this leg -- route, aircraft, and pilot.This is going to taek some work, and it needs to be done in a few hours if we are to keep up our progress.Thoughts? Suggestions? Volunteers?Mike(I have to leave right now. Good luck.)

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Best bet is GVAC-SBFZ.Within range for the FSD Cheyenne and Flight1 Golden Eagle at least, possibly other aircraft as well.Golden Eagle is a bit slow though (200 knots GS at cruise, compared to 300 for the Cheyenne).Other options are indeed large propliners or WW2 bombers like the Constellation or B-29 but again these are slow.Given the relatively small gain in distance on the leg coupled with a 370nm penalty on total trip length I think we should bypass SBFN if possible (if noone with 1600nm+ range shows up in 3 hours for the crossing we can always adapt).

Guys,I believe the 3rd option is the best. Take advantage of the airstrip at Fernando de Noronha (it's not small, a Falcon can easily operate there, so a turbo prop must make it allright)... 1357 Nm i believe that the King air can do it... at least the default one on FS 2002 claims to have around 1700NM range which is enough to make this jump safely... but will have to be at 30000 ft on economy cruise and that depends on the headwinds... need a good pilot to make this count... Or you can try to make it on an ATR 42-500... i guess it's range is greater and could give to make the jump on one flight directly to Fortaleza... One other thing... is the C-130 a valid option ?? This one has a large range! Go for it !! :-outtaRegardsFrancisco Leit

C-130 is a turboprop I'm afraid. 4 huge turboprop engines. If it weren't I think we'd be using a Tu-95 which is the fastest turboprop in the world and has enough range to go from Tangier to Kourou which would then be the fastest option :-)

The Cheyenne 400 (it's the one I fly) has a max range of 1850nm.OK, this is with excellent weather conditions.I won't take the risk to try 1800nm during this race, but I'm sure that the other dest. airports (SBFZ,SBFN) are reachable.I do volunteer, so let me know.Of course: new volunteers do have priority, OK ?Regards Johan

taking off as soon as the others clear the runwayProvisional ETA 17:45ZUpdated ETA 17:10Z if favourable winds hold.Oops. FS is 1 hour behind the times so times were an hour off :)

had a great flight now I just got to figure out how to post my proof

make a screenshot of the GPS track and/or flight analysis screen.Resize in PSP/PS/Paint or whatever to 700 wide, and save as JPG no more than 125KB in size.Attachments can be added using the box below the message form.

I'll go constellation-hunting right now.....I can't fly it online, but if I could get a rough ETA in GVAC, I can try to be online when the baton arrives....

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

When I capture the screen where does the file go?

You don't have a screencapture tool?The data goes onto you clipboard. In MS Paint, just paste it into a new image and save to disk somewhere after resizing.

into the clipboard.Open MS Paint (or your favorite image editor)Click Edit -> Pastethe picture *should* show up in Paint, unless you copied something to the clipboard since then.Then, just save the image as a .jpg or .gif file. :)

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

Dave and Johan,So we have two reasonable options.Johan, might you take a bit and be sure that your Cheyenne works properly...with a Steve Small airfile we are probably in good shape. And think seriously about whether you can make it to SBFZ with the real fuel load. SBFN should work easily enough, but even here we want to be certain.Dave, let us know about your searches for a longer-range aircraft. I do not know the effective range of a Constellation (or anything else--my ignorance here). We have two concerns about whatever long-range craft we find: (1) Is the long distance range enough to do either GVAC-SBFZ or GVAC-SBBE with sufficient margin of error in case we encounter head winds. (I guess we don't have to worry about a go-around in Brazil. :-hah )(2) Is the FS2002 flight model accurate? With the Cheyenne we have Steve Small who is pretty good at doing things right. But sometimes other airfile writers are pretty casual about fuel flow modeling. And in this case, fuel flow is critical. So if you find something good, you might test its fuel flow in the simulation. (Do you agree?)I feel confident that we are in good hands with you all on the ball!Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

If you push the Print Scrn/SysRq key on your keyboard you have taken a picture of your entire monitor at that moment. When your ready to look , edit and save that as a jpeg simple go to start then up to programs then over to accessories then open up paint. Once paint is open go to edit then down to paste. Your picture should appear. To help cut down on the size of the photo you should just cut out the map part of the screenshot then open up a new page on paint and paste it there. Size down if you need to and just save it. Example of what I am say is attached: