Sign in to follow this  

After the RTW race...

I was thinking of putting together another RTW adventure, but this would not be a race. Instead it would be just for fun and to see the world. Don't get me wrong, I love the race, but it's so fast paced, we're missing out on seeing the world.I figured we could start and end at Meigs. Instead of trying to take the shortest route, I was going to come up with a list of mandatory stops to steer the flight into some scenic areas.The two hour rule will be strictly enforced. Plan for a 1.5 hour flights. This will give you time for flight planning, preflight, and a cushion for weather. The exception will be made for over the water routs, but only if there is no other way.Real world weather will be required, but you can change the time if you don't want to fly at night.Aircraft must be a normal or utility category aircraft.(a) The normal category is limited to airplanes that have a seating configuration, excluding pilot seats, of nine or less, a maximum certificated takeoff weight of 12,500 pounds or less, and intended for nonacrobatic operation.(:( The utility category is limited to airplanes that have a seating configuration, excluding pilot seats, of nine or less, a maximum certificated takeoff weight of 12,500 pounds or less, and intended for limited acrobatic operation.Would anybody be interested, or will everyone be worn out after the race is over? Any suggestions on places to see?

Flying to see the world is a great idea. Sometime this year I expect to complete the "Round the World Buzz."http://www.dmcity.com/slarty/index.php3Our origninal purpose was to explore the world using the then "new" Flight Simulator 2000. Have had a wonderful time researching and planning the routes, preparing narratives, flying the legs, and comparing notes with others doing the same. The link below goes to progess map showing our route.http://www.dmcity.com/slarty/news.htmlAs you can see we did not take a direct route. The goal was to go to interesting places and we did.Not sure if I would sign up to do another RTW trip right now but I would definitely encourage folks who mostly fly in just one area to consider participating. There's a lot of really cool places out there. A lot of the fun is finding them.Jeff Williams (KDCA)

Sounds like an interesting idea, something to definitely keep warm.Slarty's race is over, and I think we shouldn't emulate it 1:1 but find our own route (which would partially overlap his most likely).The 2 hour rule is good but will of course be impractical in many areas (like crossing oceans and deserts).I think everyone knows some good places (even if only because they are your hometown :-) ) so let the suggestions for stops roll in and we can start stitching them together into a coherent and logical route.