Sign in to follow this  
Guest b21

Another new soaring mission - Austrian Soaring - Day 3

Guest b21

Well done to those that completed Austrian Soaring - Day 2. That was a straight ridge run from the same airfield as the stock Austrian Alpine Soaring FSX mission.Now we've moved on to Day 3 of the competition, still in the Austrian Alps flying the DG808S from Zell am See (LOWZ). This course is a little more challenging with probably a more interesting route than Day 2, with a mix of ridge-running and thermalling skills required. Wind is a brisk 18 knots from the NE, and the ridges are working. There is sink in the lee of hills for the unwary and, although there are plenty of thermals, to get the best time you have to take risks and consider your route carefully.Download it from fsxmission.com here:http://fsxmission.com/live/modules.php?nam...wdownload&cid=3Time to beat: 1 hour 15, but anything under 1 hour 30 is doing well.50 other gliders are simulated at the start of the race - don't just blindly follow one because some of them land out! They're quite hard to spot but *after* you've succeeded in the mission try the 'demo' mode and you'll see where they all were...Developed by B21, tested by Beeg and Hodge.

Well this is certainly challenging compared to number two!I managed 1:33:44 on my first flight, the most difficult is between waypoint 2 and 3. A fair amount of lift but a lot of sink too!I did it all on ridge lift , no thermal used. The funny thing is I saved position on the demo which shows in FSX but nothing on the other one,very strange!Well, now more training for the record to fall !See you up there,Alain