Sign in to follow this  
Guest gregul

msvcr80.dll crash after SP1

Guest smsmasters

Actually, that didn't work. I still get a crash with the egg timer looping even with AA off.

Guest smsmasters

Is microsoft even aware of this issue?

Guest leguedin

Hello everybody,I have exactly the same problem since I've installed SP1.I've followed every direction I've found. Clean installs (at least 10 times with defrag and followed the method linked above), anti-aliasing on and off on FSX settings and on the driver settings too. I've adjusted the display settings in FSX from low to high but I still get the CTD. Not as frequently as with AA turned off though in both FSX and driver settings. Also the CTD's are very frequent with add-on aircrafts (wilcopub Legacy and Citation X)It's very annoying, specially on long flights.My advice is to play FSX without the SP1 and wait for a fix (if microsoft is even aware of the problem)I'm going to try as last resort a fix on PTaylor's Blog concerning memory remapping. I'll let you guys know if it works out.ThanksPower : HIPER 700 WattsMB ASUS P5N32-SLI DeluxeINTEL CORE 2 DUO 6600 @ 2.4Ghz2X GeForce 7900GS PCI-E SLI2GB CORSAIR DDR2 TwinX PC2-64002X HD MAXTOR DiamondMax 10 - 320 GB SATA 300

Guest AltimateOne

hey everyoneI'm sorry that the fix that worked for me isn't working for you. I thought for sure that it was the solution because I haven't crashed to the desktop since I've followed those steps. I've done a lot of flying to be sure of it also. I reccomend contacting Microsoft about it like I did. Whether you can believe this or not, I actually got very good customer service from them. I never expected it, but I really did. To say the least I was surprised. Write them an email and they'll help you until the issue is reolved.

Guest Knikolaes

>Is microsoft even aware of this issue?Yes they are fully aware of the issue. They announced that their standing is that you basically need to upgrade your systems to fix the issue. Hence my uninstallation of FSX. Sad, too, as I am a reviewer and a few companies sent me product to review for FSX and now I will have to explain to them why I cannot do so now :-(

Guest smsmasters

Upgrade our systems to what?I already have a fast computer.Core 2 Duo e6600 2.4ghz @ 3.6ghz3072MB RAM300GB SATA II + 500GB SATA II Hard DrivesNvidia 7800GTI'm getting around 20-30fps at ultra quality settings.

Guest Knikolaes

So do I, but they disagree. I emailed their support asking about this (also told them about this thread) and gave them my computer specs and they told me to "look into hardware upgrades and Windows Vista" to have a "more stable platform for running today's advanced gaming technologies."All i can say is "WOW! Thanks guys!!!" Considering my machine can run F.E.A.R. without a single frame hit, Doom III smooth as glass and FS2004 with 600GB of addons and photoscenery at 30 - 60 FPS . . . Annnnd . . . no I have NO intentions of going to Vista until it is out for a while longer and gets the bugs worked out.

Guest smsmasters

>So do I, but they disagree. I emailed their support asking>about this (also told them about this thread) and gave them my>computer specs and they told me to "look into hardware>upgrades and Windows Vista" to have a "more stable platform>for running today's advanced gaming technologies.">>All i can say is "WOW! Thanks guys!!!" Considering my>machine can run F.E.A.R. without a single frame hit, Doom III>smooth as glass and FS2004 with 600GB of addons and>photoscenery at 30 - 60 FPS . . . >>Annnnd . . . no I have NO intentions of going to Vista until>it is out for a while longer and gets the bugs worked out.Way to go Microsoft. Basically they don't care and don't know how to fix this. I tried Vista and didn't like it that much. I'm sticking with XP for now.

Guest Knikolaes

Exactly. XP is stable, and all Vista amounts to is XP with a killer UI and a LOT of security we don't even need at our levels. Once it stabalizes I may use it for the cool UI, but for now I guess I am happy with an FS2004 that actually runs without someone telling me I need to spend $8,000 USD on a new computer when I just spent $2,000 USD building this one on my own from wholesale parts (my current machine would run $4,000 USD at least retail if sold assembled).

Guest smsmasters

Ok, I left the graphics settings etc at default which is medium-high and even with AA and AF on I didn't get any crashes "yet". Hopefully it stays this way, but it looks like FSX at ultra high settings could be maxing out my graphics card too much, but I'm not sure.I also increased my pagefile size to 2048MB from 1024MB.

For me it seems that certain Freeware aircraft that I imported from FS9 eg.dreamwings dash8 caused this error frequently on loading the aircraft.Hasnt happened to me lately though as i havent been flying it recently.Ive just upgraded the F1 ATR for FSX and thats giving another load of greif at the moment. Constant crashes if used with ASX weather program.Dont think the page file has anything to do with it. Ive also had out of memory errors so I increased my page file to the maximum permitted on my system which is 3072 MB and still get occasional out of memory messages if the page file goes above 2000MB and available RAM also.I think FSX has a limit of 2GB memory usage regardless of what you have available. I think it has something to do with memory leakage.Use the task manager[Ctrl Alt Delete]to monitor your memory and page file usage.Please correct me if im wrong.I read this on another forum.Regards

Guest smsmasters

I've got a feeling this is something to do with how fsx reads data from the memory/hard disk.Before I get the msvcr80.dll crash with the egg timer cursor, my hard disk lights stays lit as if fsx is trying to cache something.Microsoft broke FSX with SP1.

Guest smsmasters

I think I've fixed my problem.I played around with the graphics settings (lowered some settings) and set the fps limit to 30 so that it doesn't "stress" my graphics card too much. Previously, all my settings were on ultra high and now I just did my own custom settings so that I can get as close to 30fps constant.Set all the graphics settings to default then increase the sliders until you get a crash, then lower a notch down until you have no more crashes.Also try lowering the global texture resolution.I've now been playing for the past 4+ hours with no crashes.It is as if on the ultra high settings my graphics card (nvidia 7800GT) isn't able to catch up with the cpu processing the data or something. Not really sure what exactly is happening but this seems to have fixed it for me. It's like the graphics card, cpu, hard disk and memory are "out of sync" and causing freeze ups, sorry it's hard to describe what I'm trying to think. I think with the higher global texture resolution, fsx goes crazy when it loads the textures to the memory or graphics card memory and it's like it can't catch up which is why I see the hard disk activity light flash before it crashes.Anyway, hope this helps.

Guest sayaret

smsmasters this is not the reason. Trust me many people before you thought they found a solution but finally they got at CTD sooner or later. Just read this whole thread. Your method will not fix it. Ofcourse it may lover the number of CTD but i am sure that you will get CTD soon. Also turning antialiasing off doesnt solve anything.

Guest smsmasters

So what is the real reason for the crashes? Is it definitely something wrong with SP1?I agree turning off AA didn't work after all but I lowered my other graphics settings and I haven't had any crashes relating to msvcr80.dll for the past two days now.