Sign in to follow this  
Guest asb3pe

Out Of Memory error with MegaScenery Phoenix

Guest asb3pe

I recently received and installed the FSX MegaScenery for Phoenix, and had no problems flying around in the Cessna with it. Looks fantastic. :)Tonight however I decided to fly from Dallas to Sky Harbor in the 737, and I had just crossed the NM border, so likely I was right at the point where the Phoenix scenery loads in... and everything suddenly froze, except the engine sound kept going. CTRL-ALT-DEL got me to the Vista Task Manager, and I saw a task called "ERROR" was running. After doing an End Task on FSX, the Error popup appeared, and it said 'out of available memory, try restarting with lower texture settings' or something similar (I should have written it down).Is this a known problem? I'll list my computer's specs, but I've got about as good as you can get... running generally on "High" settings across the board, and framerates have been fantastic at 30 or above for me... the patch made a big difference, thank you to the hard working Microsoft folks!Just want to report this, and hopefully someone will comment. I'll play around a little - lo and behold, I got very lucky for once and had just saved the flight not 5 mins before the crash - hopefully making some experimentation possible on this. Any suggestions, please post a response. I really don't know which settings to start with, kind of a novice blunderer with optimizing things. :) Thanks.My rig:Coolmaster CM Stacker 832 case4 extra Scythe SFF21F case fans (one for heatsink)Thermaltake Toughpower 750W power supplyEVGA nForce 680i SLI motherboard (not overclocked)Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 @ 2.66GHz processorThermalright SI-120 passive CPU heatsink w/fan4 GB Corsair DDR2 6400 RAM (2 ea. TWIN2X2048-6400C4)EVGA nVidia 8800GTX video card (single, no SLI)WD 150GB Raptor hard drive (w/OS and FSX)WD 500GB hard driveWindows Vista UltimateMicrosoft Flight Simulator X Deluxe

Guest asb3pe

Update: It's not the Phoenix scenery, but something else.Loaded my saved game and landed at Sky Harbor without incident. Immediately filed a flight plan and took off to LAX. Within 1000 feet of touching down on runway 25L there, I got an hourglass and screen freeze. CTRL-ALT-DEL Task Manager revealed an error report which I clicked to send to MS.The two crashes were not similar. One CTD was upon Phoenix scenery load at high altitude, the other CTD was at ground level on final approach to KLAX. One gave me an "Error" popup with no reporting to MS, the other did the opposite. Both, however, did happen after flying for approximately an hour.

Guest firehawk44

You have the NVIDIA 8800GTX/Vista and you may have received a Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR) error many, including me, are having with NVIDIA video cards. I think the Out of Memory (OOM) error and this TDR problem are somehow linked. I fixed my OOM problem by following the advice of another indiv on the FSX Forum (requires modifying FSX.exe and reconfiguring memory)(at least I don't receive an OOM msg anymore). Then I started receiving FSX screen freezes (or blank screens) during a flight but no OOM. An Alt/Tab brought me back to the desktop where I could see the following error msg: "Display driver stopped responding, but has successfully recovered." This is called a TDR. Check out this link for additional information -- http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=31913 and make sure you click on the link to Microsoft too. I found it all very interesting and perhaps we'll see a solution sometime soon.Best regards,Jim

Guest asb3pe

Thanks Jim. I've seen numerous problems with the current nvidia drivers, especially in FS2004 where my cockpit and GPS flickers and is very annoying. Then again... the flip side is I am able to run FS2004 at full bore now, and it's great - every slider is all the way maxxed out except for water texture which is tied to another setting and can only be put halfway. :) I do wonder if my screen flicker there is due to the display settings, but I haven't fiddled very much. The little I've tried hasn't changed anything. Links 2003 doesn't work at all, the golfer disappears, along with the ball and the control panel. Tough to play that way. :( I'm not holding my breath that the game will ever work... but FSX is a different story, I'm sure they'll get it all squared away eventually and I'm not disappointed I took the plunge and did my upgrade now. For all the problems, FSX is a stunning achievement - I never bothered with gliders and 'copters before, because they were almost uncontrollable. In FSX, they're both a blast, so smooth and realistic... Appreciate the advice and info. -Al

Guest firehawk44

Reference my statement: "I could see the following error msg: "Display driver stopped responding, but has successfully recovered." I just downloaded the latest WHQL NVIDIA drivers 158.24 and the Release Notes for this driver indicates the above problem has been fixed. We'll see.....Jim