Sign in to follow this  
Guest LONEDOVE

FS 9 REINSTALL

Guest LONEDOVE

Hi all, I had my old computer bite the dust, but was able to retrieve all my downloads both free and paid for..alot of aircraft and scenery files which I have all on its own drive. I did however manage to LOOSE DISK # 4 so am going to purchase a new complete Flight Simulator 2004 My question is:....When I install the new FS 9 on the same drive that contains all my stuff, will it automatically install the aircraft, terrain ect or I have to manually install all my aircraft addons and scenery upgrades ?? Oh I bought a new compter and all my flight sim add on files are on an their own ouboard drive.Any help on this reinstall will be greatly appreciated !!Many thanks!Jim, Mesa Arizona

Hi Jim,Same thing happened to me last year. My Old sim was completely intact and was still flyable (on what is now HDD#2) but the applications that 'managed it' were lost. Your BEST bet is to do a fresh install - it can even be on the same drive (just rename the old version first). Then install those APPLICATIONS that need to be installed with registry entries and such. FS9 itself doesn't care where it is but various utilities that work with it do care. Most addon aircraft and such could just be copied over to the new sim. That's what I did. BTW, if you choose to restore AC from the original zips, place any included gauges in the acpanel folder. They will work there and your gauge folder will stay a lot cleaner.But something else I thought of this time. Made a COMPLETE copy of that fresh default install onto a DVD (it will fit!). I needed it just a few weeks ago when I realized I had somehow gotten some VOZ addon textures from the old install into my newer one. solution: just copy the original textures back into the sim. They are, of course, on the CDs but this was a whole lot quicker.Hope this helpsLoyd