Sign in to follow this  
Guest LAzerxxx

Planning for the correct arrival runway

Hello All,My question today is this....How do you make a flight plan in FSNavigator for the correct arrival?The reason ask this question is because everytime I make an FP using FSN4.7 I always get the runway that I'm landing on wrong. I am usually flying the PMDG 747-400QOTS and haven't quite figured out how to change the runway I am directed to by ATC in the FMC. so, to change my question around a bit now that I have explained it....how do I figure out at the time of planning, which runway I will be landing on?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

1. Before you select the landing runway/ complete your flight plan - go there in FS and check which runways are being used.2. Use an external source to check the destination airport weather.However, neither method will work is the destination weather changes during your flight.So until you are familiar with changing the approach in the FMS - I'd recommend you fly with real world STATIC weather.

Reggies, Thanks man!!! I have been diligently reading and re-reading the manual to try and figure it out, but no luck yet. Sux not having any real world training in these things, but the realism is too much to just leave them alone :D

Reggie, Also, what external source would you recommend for checking the weather?

If you can read METAR data - http://aviationweather.gov/KADS 071515Z 00000KT 4SM BR SCK 14/13 A3001UUEE 071500Z 19003MPS 9999 -SN OVC015 M04/M05 Q1002 NOSIGNTAA 071500Z 08008KT 050V110 9999 VCSH SCT023 27/22 Q1013 NOSIGEGLC 071520Z 21004KT 140V260 7000 BKN014 09/07 Q1019FMMI 071500Z VRB03KT 9999 FEW020TCU BKN023 27/14 Q1017RCKH 071530Z 03005KT 6000 FEW012 BKN060 24/18 Q1018 NOSIGThere are a couple METAR decoders available in the library.You can also use the weather web sites, local TV stations.But do understand how the FS weather works. It may be different than a local weather report.Every 15 minutes your FS will update it's weather data from the Jeppsen source.That weather is normally reported once an hour.In Texas we can go from relatively clear and calm to massive thunderstorms and back to clear and calm in an hour.FS will never be "out the window" weather - because the real world aviation weather system is not designed that way.If a weather station is not reporting for three consecutive hours, FS defaults back to "standard aviation weather" 59F, calm, no winds, unlimited visibility, 2992 pressure.Also, the "default calm winds runway" at some airports might be different than we would expect. Some airports also are coded to require very heavy winds to change the runways - KLBB for example.Also FS does not do "airspaces" - but each airport individually. More than once I've seen aircraft in FS landing at KDFW from the south, and at KDAL from the north. That doesn't happen in the real world - all 11 towered airports in the airspace use the same northerly or southerly landing direction - and turning the airport is done in at the same time at all the airports - with a lot of coordination with approach and departure ATC.That's why I vastly prefer to go to the destination and check the weather in FS.

as long as you file a flight plan in the game, and have the basic wind direction right, you should be able to pick the runway you want.For example, coming into KLAX from the north with winds from the west/ocean, ATC would assign you 24R because it is closer, but you can select another runway and approach for landing if you have filed a flight plan, so if you planned on 25L you can tell ATC thats what you want. What Reggie said about finding the weather metar is great, also I highly recommend the Active Sky addon, not only is it the greatest weather program ever and has beautiful textures but it lets you search by airport code for the latest metar

Thanks Alex and again Reggie. Like I said, I've been doing this since 2002 Pro, but I never got into it as deep as I have here lately. Might be because I finally broke down and bought an airplane:D.Anyway, thanks guys, both for your time and your knowledge.