Sign in to follow this  
Guest chapstik

Which would you use?

Guest chapstik

I am having a problem that seems beyond repairing other than by wiping my HDD clean and starting over. Sigh. My PC is working really sweet except I cannot use any of my Flight Sims. I disconnected my gear, so that is not the source of the problem. I have Links 2001 and it's an MS sim/game. Yet none of my MS Flight Sims will work. They'll load, but as soon as I either remove the period to "start now", a blue screen comes up w/an error message re:dumping memory stack. I immediately do a cold boot and everything is fine (except the sim). The same thing happened when I tried FU-3. So, I's one stumped sim pilot. And getting bummed out because I was "born to fly".So, if anyone has an idea, I am willing to try anything, since it seems like I will be FDiskin' my HDD soon. Or using a program named Dban, which works real well and is ez to use. This gets me to my main question. Which would you use as an OS once the HDD is empty. I have XP Home Edition and W2000Pro. I've heard that 2000 is more stable and thus maybe the better of the two. But then up to my last reformat (virus, my first), all my sims were flying great. I really like FS9 and think it's a big step ahead of FS2k, FS98, FS95 etc. I have them all back to FS3, except for FS2002.If you were forced to reformat your HDD and your main thing on that PC is Flight Simming, would you use XP or W2000. I also have W98se, but it's pretty much obsolete.Please resond asap, because I am gunna do something soon. Grrr. Getting frustercated.Thnx, Chappy

Hello Chappy, been there, done that. I know how you feel. First off, WinXP & Win2000 use the same kernal, however, WinXP will give better performance with the newer add-aons as it has more components than Win2000. I had Win2000 and had some performance issues with certain AC as others had no problems. The difference?? WinXP, so if you are going to install an OS, XP will give a better result. OK, the blue screen errors.... well I suspect it is a driver for the audio or video card (most cases anyway) Try different drivers. Go get Driver cleaner pro at tweaksrus. If you uninstall a driver, and there is any remnants left over, you can and will have problems. This software insures that all is removed. Warning... Follow the directions to the letter or you can mess up the OS in the process. It may be MB drivers too, as it is hard to nail the problem without alot of testing and patience. If you need any further help, post here, and when I'm not on the road usually a few days at a time I will try to help you anyway I can. I'm sure many other users can chime in as well. Hang in there.Having to reinstall everything is a drag, but imagine when you can actually enjoy FS9 without bluescreens. The reinstalling doesn't look so bad anymore. Keep us posted.

Guest chapstik

Jeff, thnx a lot for the fast response. I agree 100% that if a clean install after a reformat fixes my problem, then it is well worth doing. I am pretty consistent about doing backups, so a reformat is not that big a deal. It's just that it's been about 6 mos since I last did one, and the idea of losing this current conglomeration is kinda depressing.What I mean is, aside from the Flight Sims, everything is working fine.As far as the frivers go, my MB comes w/imbedded video and sound. I replaced the video not too long after I got the PC, since it was pretty chintsy. Last week, in an attempt to fix my problem, or narrow it down, I removed the Gforce 256mg card (hard and software) and tried using the OB video. I had the same problem, so I put the bigger and better card back in. So, I think I have pretty much ruled out the problem as being associated w/video. Or at least the card. I am not sure I am up to running Driver Cleaner if you say it can be touchie. I am pretty good on this thing, but there are some things I've never done, and won't do for awhile. Like flashing my BIOS. My son-in law tried that, after my warning, and his PC is now a paper weight. Anyhow, thnx, and keep thinking. As for my question re:XP vs W2000, what you told me is pretty much what I thought. It was my neighbor's idea that w2000 is sturdier.Take care and God Bless,Chappy

Chappy,What's the error message that windows gives you when it blue screen's? I'm not entirely sure which version of windows you have (2000/XP), but I'd recommend going to the properties of My Computer, click Advanced, then Settings under Startup and Recovery and untick the box that says automatically restart. That'll buy you more time to see the blue screen.If/when you do see the error message again, please make note of any error code it generates (which is something like 0x00000F) and also if it lists any drivers (files that are .dll or .sys). If you can give me/us that information, I could try to help you further.

Guest chapstik

Will do, but hopefully I won't have to see it again, since as I responded to your other post, I spent the last 24 hrs reformatting my HDD and things are back to Okee Dokee. The error that I was seeing was being shown after the sim crashed, so I had lots of time to read it. It was basically saying that I had an error somewhere in my hardware or software. It was also do a slow memory dump, or close down of W-XP, I guess. That's message was not very helpful as you can see. Hardware or software.Duh.Anyhow, I pray I never see the thing again.And thanx again for the link to the Nv 90 drivers page.Chap