Sign in to follow this  
mtan002

Always Completing Setup and Building Database

My FS9 startup is a bit strange lately. It always goes through the scenery indexing even though I have not touched the Scenery.cfg file. Any idea why it does that? I have examined the scenery.cfg file, nothing unusual.M Tan -------------------------AMD Dual Athlon 4400+ 2G Geforce 7900GSViewSonic 21" VX2025WMXP SP2

How many entries are in Your scenery.cfg? It could be, that You have passed the limit of 323 entries.

ldsigcr2.jpg

Guest JTEK99

M:I had this problem myself and it drove me crazy; perhaps the solution below will help.Check your SCENERY.CFG file (in your FS9 root folder) by editing in Windows Notepad or any text editor.In each scenery layer, there is usually a line that looks like this:Local=XXXXXRemote=XXXXXIf any of the layer entries contain a "Remote=" line with anything, that might be the problem. It means that the scenery is copied each and every time you load FS to a cache folder that FS9 creates. This can cause the constantly rebuilding scenery dialog that appears. Just cut whatever is after the "Remote=" and paste it after the "Local=" line (or you can go into FS9's Scenery Library dialog and eliminate the caching by clicking 'Edit Area' and select 'Use this scenery directly' instead of 'Cache this scenery').A lot of people had this problem after installing CanarySim's Canary Islands scenery since it created a "Remote=" entry in the scenery.cfg.Hope this helps.

Thanks for the response.I only have 155 layers.I checked all the "Remote=" entries. They are all balnk entries.-------------------------AMD Dual Athlon 4400+ 2G Geforce 7900GSViewSonic 21" VX2025WMXP SP2

Guest martin842

Have you disabled the file stamping feature of Windows (or whatever it is called - the thing whcch records the time and date a file was last accessed)? This is recommended sometimes as a performance tweak, but (and I am guessing here) it may cause FS9 to think it has not updated its scenery database since changes were last made to sceneries.Martin

I didn't disable the last access time stamp. Actually, the scenery.dat was updated when I deliberately made a change. But the time stamp of the scenery.dat remained the same while FS keeps building a new database everytime it got started. Don't understand! :-roll M Tan-------------------------AMD Dual Athlon 4400+ @211 2G XFX Geforce 7900GSViewSonic 21" VX2025WMXP SP2

the program scenery config manager does a great job at renumbering entries, thats probably the problem.

Yes - I use the Scenery Config utility (scm2004.exe). But I have examined all the entries and they all look fine to me.-------------------------AMD Dual Athlon 4400+ @211 2G XFX Geforce 7900GSViewSonic 21" VX2025WMXP SP2