Sign in to follow this  

Athlon XP with included cooling fan

Guest Dominik Mann

Sorry for posting this here instead of the hardware forum, but I thought there might be more readers in the general forum.As some of you might remember, I'm currently planning on a system upgrade which would include the fitting of an Athlon XP 2400 CPU. However, while looking over my retailer's item list I was kinda puzzled to see some XPs listed twice - one of each entry being supplemented with the remark "BOX" . According to the description, these CPUs come with a suitable cooling fan already fitted.Now, my question is if any of you can confirm that these XPs do exist, and whether they have their cooling fans "factory-fitted" by AMD. If that were the case, one should think these coolers ought to be sufficient, shouldn't they? I have no plans to try and play overclocking games any time in the future, so my aim would be to get what is required for safe operation within manufacturer limits, so to say.Cheers,

The CPU ships with a heatsink/fan, you have to install it yourself.If you're not going to overclock, it'll be fine. I suggest you remove the thermal pad from the bottom of the heatsink and add some themral paste instead.

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

Guest Dominik Mann

Thanks, John, that is good to know :-) .

Guest Mike94

Go for the non-boxed Version, they are cheaper, and there are better, more efficient coolers, than the ones included in the box.Cheers,Michael (EDDL)

Go for at lease the 2600+ with the 333 bus if your MB will support it. You will need a copper-based heatsink/fan combo which are larger that the ones used for the 2100+ and below processors. That is, save money on your CPU by going OEM and then getting yourself the appropriate fan at the site too. Check out www.pricewatch.com for best prices.ROBB

Dominik,The CPU that comes with a fan is the retail version and usually is a little more expensive but should have something like a 1 or 3 year warranty.The CPU that comes all by its lonesome self is the OEM version and is usually a little cheaper. The warranty might be as short as 30 days.Newegg.com is a good source for buying parts (and a good return policy).I've built several machines and would highly recommend the OEM version (no fan). AMD processors want to be kept cool and the stock factory fan barely cuts the mustard. You can find plenty of better coolers out there, although you'll spend a little extra for them (but it's well worth the price: the CPU will stay cooler and live longer and far fewer BSOD due to heat problems).A good mobo, the AMD processor, and a good fan...that's all I need...oh, and my remote control...;-)Brad

Guest FPSFREAK

Having certain connections in the retail computer feild has it's perks and due to this I was one of the first to own an XP2400+. The two versions you speak of the Boxed retail and "OEM" are both the same CPU. The OEM comes minus the factory heatsink.I recently sold my XP2400+ but I can tell you that unless you are going for a mad overclock there is no reason to spend the 30 dollars on an aftermarket heatsink. I personally ran mine at 15x150 all day day in and day out w the factory heatsink. The B core XP's ran much cooler thanks to there .13 Micron die. Other Athlons were notorious heatpumps but the B core versions run significantly cooler.The choice is ultimately up to you. I personally have not seen an OEM cpu with a warranty longer than 30 days. If you are not like myself and dont regularly upgrade your CPU this may be an important consideration.Hope this helped.Bobby

Guest Dominik Mann

@ Uwe und Michael:Nun ja, ein 2600er w

dominik, i would also suggest to go with the oem version and buy a seperate fan. when I upgraded my system 2 weeks ago (see specs below) I got a coolermaster HAC-V 81 X-Dream fan. it keeps my 2700+ at around 45 degree 'under pressure' and 42 degrees during normal operations whereas the fan (which comes with adjustable fan speed) is always set to the lowest (and - indeed - most quiet) speed, i.e. 2500 rpm. so there is plenty of space for overclocking :-)CheersPhilCome to DAD![link:www.dangerous-airports.com]http://www.dangerous-airports.com/images/dad_logo.jpgAMD XP 2700+, 512 MB, ASUS A7N8X, GF4 440, 17" TFT