Sign in to follow this  
Guest Camsdad

I know but have to ask :)

Somebody on here will tell me to use the search function :-rollHow long will you stay with FS9?What would it take for the switch to FSX? Do you feel we will see 3rd party vendors drop off more with FSX than previous versions of FS? What were you looking for in FSX that MS may have missed?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

<"How long will you stay with FS9?"> This will depend upon the successful upgrading of the majority of my FS9 add-ons, two of the the major items being the DreamFleet 727 and FS Passengers. These two products create a flight environment wherein each flight is both challenging to complete successfully, and which adds to a documented career path. Having a flight deck and cabin crew takes flight simming to a level which comes reasonably close to real-world airline flying. <"What would it take for the switch to FSX?"> I assume by "switch" you mean the removal of FS9 from the hard drive?Well - as above - the successful upgrading of the majority of my FS9 add-ons, and the belief that the developer group will be able to create products comparable in detail to those available for FS9, and at similar prices. While FSX has many facets which place it technically far ahead of FS9, there are no detailed areas which can compare with such products as Flight Scenery's FZ02 - Portland, or FZ01 - Rhode Island, and certainly there is a great demand for the world's major airports available at a similar standard. With the exception of Cloud9, scenery development appears somewhat stagnant at this moment. There are currently many flaws in FSX some of which are being addressed by Microsoft, but there are also performance concerns which Microsoft developers may not have control over without moving to a version with multicore support. This, I think will involve a major rewrite, and will result in FSXI in a relatively short period of time - perhaps Q2, 2008. Many simmers have successfully upgraded their systems to the latest high-end machines - but there are also many that have not done so because of the availability of high-end DX10-compliant gpu's, and the confusion surrounding Vista/XP, DX9/DX10 comptibility in general. In the interim, I feel we will lose many simmers because of that hardware challenge, a number of developers will give up, and a large number of potentially new simmers will quit right after their new FSX Xmas present fails to meet their expectations as a new "game" - because "it won't run on my pc" even before being aware of this vast support group/system that exists. <"Do you feel we will see 3rd party vendors drop off more with FSX than previous versions of FS? ">As above. Yes.<"What were you looking for in FSX that MS may have missed?"> Microsoft released a couple of beta versions which were followed in very short order by the "finished" product. It was not so much that Microsoft "missed" anything, more than this version ought to have enhanced and /or improved many of the features of FS9. Instead MS radically improved and enhanced the graphics and weather - needed, yes, but MS also utterly ignored ATC, and changed most user interfaces such that few of the familiar FS9 keystrokes worked anymore, so that not only was the sim performance hampered by the heavy graphics, it was unfamiliar, also "buggy" - numerous BSoD's (on XP Pro????), and not what the majority of the sim community expected - or wanted - at all. Much talk was made of the "consultation" with the addon group, however, if this is true - Microsoft ignored almost every suggestion which was made - for e.g. a "major" for many simmers - is the TrackIR interface. This is a basic addon, but it was a number of weeks before it was patched to a useable level. Mesh design is so changed to the degree that airport runways, taxyways, aprons, etc., are not available from any developer, and much is being written, argued, blogged, about where design is going. Microsoft is now in a fire-fighting mode as a result. Personally - I, and a number of others, have the hardware; a goodly number of talented individuals in the community have made and shared sufficient tweaks, and so many of us are successfully flying and enjoying the sim in a sort of "reduced mode". I'm moderately happy with it in this state. It's most unfortunate that a very much larger group who aren't as fortunate - can't and won't be enjoying FSX for a long time. Further - it has created much regrettable strife within the community - and that's not healthy. One can only feel disappointed that what was dreamed of did not become the reality.Regards,