Sign in to follow this  
Gavin

Nvidia drivers-I know nothing!

HiI've never even thought of updating my drivers before. I've got a NVIDIA Geforce2/Geforce2Pro - well, that's what it says in 'system'.According to Nvidia's web site the latest drivers suitable for this are the 41.09 ones. Fair enough.Can anyone tell me how I should (if I should) proceed with installing these. Is it necessary to uninstall the old drivers? If so how? Or do the new ones just auto-install nicely into place. And of course, how do I go back to the old ones if the new ones don't improve anything. I run Win ME.Sorry for the stupid question, but we've all got to start somewhere!Gavin

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

For your card, the best drivers to use are most likely the 30.82 version.When I tried ANY of the 4x.xx series on my GF2 I had terrible problems (mainly with corrupted reflective and transparent textures).

I thought that I'd throw my two-cents in. Yesterday, I went through all the driver sets for the GeFORCE 2 card (of which I own) from the:22.11's to the most current version for W98SE:41.09 off of the nVidia site.I did a clean Det-Destroy install of each set, before installing the next package.I have to say that the best drivers notwithstanding, are the most recent offical 41.09's off of the web site.With a 1.4 Ghz Celeron running on a BX-based mother board, and with all sliders to max, with the exception of visibility which is set to the lowest---60 miles, and with the FRAMERATE set and locked to 15 FPS, I get for the most part a constant 15 fps, with dips to the high 8's when I have a load-pile of PAI A.I. aircraft movement. I have over 27,000 flight plans installed, so there is constant movement on the ground and in the virtual sky!I also have most everything tweaked (including SIDE-BAND addressing) which must be set with a GUI Det. tweaker, and also be available within your BIOS.I am getting fabulous performance, with most satisfactory clarity in texture rendering.So, if you are running W98SE as your O.S., I HIGHLY recommend the latest and greatest driver release!Cheers!Mitch R.

Gavin,There's a good thread on this subject on this forum titled "Which Nvidea driver is (still) the best", check it out. there's a lot of good information there. I had the best luck with the Detonator 42.86 driver. Then I read on that thread about the Omega drivers for Nvidea and tried that one. I like it the best so far. basically, it's a driver already tweaked and they recommend you use it as is.If you use it, be real careful installing it as the instructions are a bit tricky. You run the self install first, but all that does is extract the drivers. Then you still have to install the driver manually. The web site http://www.omegacorner.com/As always, drivers are like anything else. What works great for one system, brings another one to it's knees. Your mileage may vary according to your particular system. It's a trial and error process finding one that works for your particular system.Good Luck,Hans

GuysThank you all for your replys, much appreciated!As a computer novice I think, at the moment, I'm going to leave well alone - I'll probably screw everything up.Cheers!Gavin