Sign in to follow this  
Guest neslesman

Elevator Trim on the Aerosoft Super Cub Question

Guest neslesman

I love flying the Super Cub when I feel like just dawdling around enjoying the scenery or bush flying with the floats or skis but I notice the elevator trim has very wide increments. In other words it's overly effective and adds or subtracts too much trim per input.I assume there is something I can adjust in the aircraft.cfg that will desensitize it somewhat but I don't know what that might be in the config file. I see there is this ....(elevator_trim_effectiveness =2.002) that is likely the culprit. Could anyone advise me just how I might accomplish desensitizing that trim setting without getting into trouble or is it just a matter of increasing or decreasing the setting just discussed?It sure is a sweet little airplane otherwise.

You found the correct line.Try half that, or 1.000, and see how that works.This is one setting I change in most all my aircraft, as most all of them have too big of 'jumps'.I have some that are down to 0.500This is really a personal preference setting, so do not be afraid to play around with it until you find a 'sweet spot'. You will find that trimming your aircraft can be extremely improved.

Guest neslesman

Thank you bkeske, I reduced it and it's perfect. On re skimming the manual I see the Super Cub has no real elevator "trim" per se, just an "elevator setting" so it is indeed modelled correctly in that setting the actual elevator versus the elevator trim, which would be difficult to fine tune.Now I can standardize many of my aircraft for pitch trim. That's one setting that is difficult to adjust to in a hurry when using so many different aircraft that have such different trim sensitivities.Man I love this hobby and community, I learn a new thing or two each and every day. When I started I never dreamt I would be playing with CFG files, now I are almost a real computer nerd.

>Thank you bkeske, I reduced it and it's perfect. On re>skimming the manual I see the Super Cub has no real elevator>"trim" per se, just an "elevator setting" so it is indeed>modelled correctly in that setting the actual elevator versus>the elevator trim, which would be difficult to fine tune.Your welcome. But, it is probably doubtful that this was done on purpose...but perhaps so.On most other aircraft the trim cam be adjusted by very small increments via the trim wheel, or crank, so again, lessening the 'jumps' is perfectly realistic IMO.If you have an aircraft that is way to sensitive to holding the elevator during normal cruise, or even more so, during a turn, you can also look at the line 'elevator effectiveness'. I have increased that number on some of my aircraft to behave much better sans AP. The combination of those two settings can really make an aircraft a nightmare to fly by hand, or make it much better....and IMO, much more realistic. Most pilots will tell you, it isn't as hard to 'hold your elevator', or set trim, in the real thing vs FS. The little experience I had 'taking the yoke' as a kid, I would have to agree.

Guest MikeGTO

I don't know much about trim in the real world, but in FS it feels like the aircraft's pitch stability is very sensitve to changes in airspeed or throttle. Obviously, it's logical that the right trim setting for takeoff is not going to be right for cruise, high speed, etc. But even so, in FS I really have to mess with the trim an awful lot to keep pitch reasonably neutral. To the extent that I am practically flying the plane with trim just as much as I am with direct elevator input.Is there an easy way to "dampen" or reduce the FM that governs the pitch oscillations? I don't mean adjusting the trim sensitivity itself, I mean adjusting some parameter so that trim will be less critical.