Sign in to follow this  
Guest psouthan

Ever had that feeling of tearingyour hair out- CFG. file wont build

hello, my problem is this: start FS9 splash screen appears then disappears. Have read all the the posts about spalash screen errors, or all those that i can find. Still no joy.This is how it started: had an issue with memory. Could run three sticks of memory but if I put a fourth in, my system crahsed (I had always initially had four sticks of ram in my system 2GB ut that's another issue resolved). Anyway, I took my PC to a shop, they ran tests on the memory, even ran FS9 in the shop, and would you believe, 4 sticks of memory ran, no problem, typical after having dragged my PC to the shop. Anyway, I get back home looking forward to running FS9 on 2GB of ram again and bingo, splash screen appears and then desktop, no FS9! Now, I have deleted the CFG.file , hoping it would rebuild it but it doesn't, Instead, it now contains nothing. I have a back up but why isn't it rebuilding it and what has happened since going to the shop and back?I have tried reinstalling video cardremoving the file that caused the issue with IE7have tried default settings etc and nothign just splash screen and crash!One thing: I have tow installations of windows on my PC, one for FS9 alone on a drive D: I have a suspicious feeling that somewhere you are supposed to have a file in my documnets called flight simulator files and i suspect my system can't find it. It did before but if this is the case why can't it now? And how do i ensure FS9 reads the file from d: instead of the default C:?Please helpThanksPaul

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hey Paul,Just a thought. You said you have two installs of fs9, C and D, whic is cool. I do not have two installs of windows but I have two installs of fs9, the original one is a left over when I copied all my old drive stuff onto my new drive. I had two drives b4(small drives) now I have one big HD. The funny thing is they both work and use totally different fs9.cfg files as I also copied over my entire original C drive which has its own doc settings with fs9 files. I know that long explanation dose not help you but.In your drive D there must be a doc/settings folder. Check within that folder for a path that should look something like this:D:Documents and SettingsusernameApplication DataMicrosoftFS9*****NOTE***** username is your log on profile if you have that setupthen check your other install and look for that path also and compare them.Just might give you something to think about.Regards,Douglas