Sign in to follow this  

Simulating a year in flight....

I was flying my new Dreamfleet 177RG lst night, and was very proud of myself for doing a VOR/airway flight from Seattle to Vancouver without turning on the GPS. It made the flight more interesting to be setting up the nav radios, watching for waypoints, etc. I love the clunky old radios that come with the Cardinal, and I was thinking I might try to find a way to yank the (very nice) GPS out of the cockpit altogether for my upcoming circuit of Alaska.This got me to thinking that it might be interesting to have _everything_ set up to represent a time before GPS's, glass cockpits, etc. (when men were men, and -- you know the drill). Perhaps I could simply pick a year, and make sure that the planes I fly and the AI aircraft are representative of this year.What would be a good year to simulate? Sometime in the 70's maybe? What else would this effect? Have the ATC procedures that are represented in FS2k2 changed since that time? There are other issues to consider. Not only would I have to have the right planes in the sky, but the appropriate airlines. Then there is scenery .. the autogen is generic enough, but specific landmarks will be problematic. Airports are an issue, but perhaps that is just getting too anal....On second thought, this is probably a bit too ambitious. Has anyone attempted something of this sort?

Guest Dominique

More than once I've flown the R4D-6 in the Solomons Islands setting the clock back to 1942. Of course, no special sceneries or planes available. Just this beautiful plane, the not so bad generic scenery and of course the power of imagination :).In the same spirit, I've flown the first flight over "the hump".Dominique

polysterI was set my time back to the 70's and replaced all my ground textures with polyster!!! :-lol Kilstorm

Hi there,as far as scenery goes, it could be done. There are a lot of time-specific scenery objects already, like the fireworks at 10pm in Las Vegas, or the Berlin Wall that appears before 1989. But I don't even want to begin to imagine the amount of work that would be involved. Although it would be cool to have an airport like Heathrow and see how it changed from the 50s until today, it would be like designing multiple major airports. Ai traffic could probably be done. If you can find some historic planes and flightplans, you could back up your current traffic files and create new ones with just the old aircraft. Then, before starting FS, you decide which time you want to fly in, like past or present, and put the appropriate traffic files in your Afd folder.Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Guest Rockcliffe

I believe Tom Gibson's California classics page has old airport scenery from the heyday of the prop era, but I don't know if they would work in fs2002. I haven't tried them.I love flying DC6s, Vickers Viscounts and Beech G-18s.It's an interesting idea.Blair

I once took the RD4 around the world using only dead reckoning and ADF. It was very satisfying and sobering, even with the exact winds aloft! People have talked about recreating celestial navigation for FS2K2 but I've never seen it. Sure would be cool. David

Guest imemyself

Also, there was a different system of designating airspace(atleast in the US) back in the 70s.

I just got my Cardinal in the mail yesterday and am very pleased with it. The fact that you can change the weight distribution, luggage weight, etc, makes flying it very interesting. And the 'skins' you can download make it very customizable. Also like the idea you can change your powerplant clock and zero it as a new plane when you change the 'skin'. Now I am thinking about getting the 421C. The detail put into these planes really make them special.:-kewl