Sign in to follow this  
Guest BAW083

Re: Monitor Refresh Rates

Guest Efrain_AAV1

I know it's a bit off topic but this is the best forum to get answers from! :-)I know that if a specific game can produce 100fps but my refresh rate is set to 85, the maximum frames I get displayed will be 85... What is the difference between a refresh rate of 85 and one of 120? I ask because my monitor will do 120 at the resolution I have set it to, and would like to know if it's always best to go with the highest possible refresh rate your monitor can display at a certain resolution...Thanks!!I know 60 is no good because of the flickering and headaches that come with it! lol

I've seen no difference in picture quality between 85 and 120..try it and see if you can see an improvement..I leave mine at 85 for all resolutions.. at least the monitor does not have to work as hard..

Bert

In an optimal world where framerate is plentiful for all software, having framerate and refresh rate in sync is preferred (eg: 85 fps at 85Hz refresh). In reality with no free framerate tree, and with the efficient brains we have, it hardly matters if they are in perfect sync.You should set your refresh to the lowest setting where the display looks rock solid to your own eyes and brain. Each person is unique in what they can detect here, but 85Hz is, as you know, pretty much the standard. As stated above, setting it any higher than what your eyes need only makes your monitor and video card work harder.Take care,Elrond---Not enough bandwidth to display this signature! Don't reformat hard drive? (Y/N)

refresh rates have to do with how fast your montior will refresh a image so to speak. This is why with veritcal sync on , if you have your montior refresh rate at 85hz you will get no more than 85 FPS.This is why most people choose to turn vertical sync off.The purpose is to sync every frame with the refresh rate.I run FS2002 at 1152x864@100hz because this over all image is better and much readable for me. I highly advise if you turn up the refresh rate to have your monitor drivers installed espically the lastest ones .If you turn your refresh rate up to high and your montior does not support it you could damage your montior perment.Capt.Richard Dillon (KATL)www.jetstarairlines.comhttp://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg"Lets Roll" 9/11 -----------------------Specs AMD 2400 XP MSI KTV4 512MB DDR 2100Asus GF4 ti 4200 128MBSB Audigy Gamer Ch Products Yoke and Pedals(usb)Windows 2000 Serivce Pack 3

Guest BAW083

1024x768@100hz (I can't read some panels/gauges at higher resolutions).