Sign in to follow this  
Guest cldthd

This doesn't make sense...

Guest cldthd

Hello everyone.So I am having a serious problem. I have attached my system specs, and when running FS9 on this system, I can barely get above 20 fps. In most places it is between 10-15. I used to have a system that was half this powerful and I got twice as many frames. Anybody have any ideas what I can do?Intel Pentium 4 3.4 GHz processor.2.00 GB RAMATI Mobility Radeon 9800 256 MBThis is a Dell XPS.This should be more than enough.I've tried the Omega drivers, the Dell drivers, the patched Catalyst drivers... nothing seems to work. Every other game on this system runs fantastic, just not FS9. I have also tried every piece of high-FPS addon available, and it just makes the game look like crap while doing nothing to improve frames.Any thoughts?

Guest MikeGTO

I don't know much about your system, but I'm guessing it probably supports Hyperthreading. Some users of FS9 report a big increase in performance by changing some settings relating to that. For example, following is an old post that may be relevant:"Folks;For those of you running MS Flight Sim on Win XP and an Intel Hyperthreading CPU, here's a truly amazing performance booster:After starting FS, go into task manager (CTRL_ALT_DEL)Select Processes tabRight click on FS9.exe, select "Set Affinity"Disable one of the two check boxes so that FS9 only runs on one virtual CPU (I use CPU 0).Do the same on any other running utilities (i.e. FDC, RC) and select the other virtual processor.I see better than a doubling in frame rates. This, of course, assumes that hyperthreading is supported and enabled on your motherboard and BIOS settings.An even better (permanent) way of constraining FS9 to run on a single virtual CPU on an HT CPU is using the Microsoft IMAGECFG utility (an older NT/2000 utility that works fine in XP -- do a google search). Command syntax (in a Command window):IMAGECFG -a 0x1 fs9.exeThis writes a processor affinity mask into the executable. 0x1 specifies virtual CPU 0, 0x2 specifies vCPU 1, and 0x3 uses both 0 & 1 (default). FS will always run on the specified virtual CPU(s) from that point on.I have done the same to the other utilities I run on the machine while FS is running, only restricting them to the opposite vCPU.Thanks to Sean McLeod for pointing out this setting to me.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Washington, D.C"