Sign in to follow this  
Cruachan

SB Audigy - Driver Update ....... advice please

Hi,Well, like a good chap, I posted in the 'relevant' Hardware forum but the sad reality is that very few visit that forum regularly and admittedly, as ever, I am feeling a little impatient for a response ;) . So, I repost here in the hope that there is someone who can help: "I have a SB Audigy card installed in a P4 / Windows XP Home (SP1) / DX9 based system. Yesterday I decided to update the drivers by d/l and running the latest executable (dated 31/12/2002) from Creative Labs. My previous drivers were dated 12/8/2002.The process seemed to complete smoothly without any apparent hitches and at the end the system was rebooted.However, on re-running DX Diagnostics I find that the version number of 'ctaud2k.sys' remains unchanged from that shown pre-'update', viz. 5.12.0001.0253 These drivers are WHQL certified.Otherwise, all testing completes successfully as it does using the Creative Diagnostics 2 module. I am now wondering whether I should have uninstalled the old driver set via Add/Remove Programs before updating. I note that there are two entries: 1. Sound Blaster Audigy2. Sound Blaster Audigy Web2k/XPIf I should be pursuing this route is it necessary to also uninstall the second option?My feeling is that nothing has changed with this apparent 'update'. Could it be that XP blocked me without my knowing what was happening behind the scenes?I have asked Creative Labs for guidance but, as yet, have received no response.Perhaps one of you have already gone down this road and know the answer. I would appreciate any input."Thanks,Mike :-wave

Guest FPSFREAK

I have a rig like yours and also downloaded the updated driver set. One thing to remember is not all files are updated upon a driver update. It could very well be that the file you speak of needed no updating and was left as is. You see this if you run a 9700 radeon and install the omega drivers. From the outside they look and install just like ATI drivers from ATI. It is within the driver set that certain files and DLL's are changed. The driver pack as a whole is not changed just updated. Hence the term Driver Update. Hope this helped answer your question.Bobby

Hi Bobby,Thanks, you could well be right. I am just wondering whether others have carried out this update and have checked to see if the version number has changed - just curious in case I am fooling myself into believing the update has not, in fact, taken place.Mike

Received this from Creative Labs this evening:"Thank you for your email.This is fine,during the driver update not all files are changed and it is normal that soime file versions will remain unchanged.Once the tests and diagnostics run successfully you should have no problems with the card."Thanks again for your input.Mike