Sign in to follow this  
Guest turbotim

Help with multiple active runways

Hi there, i have created an airport with six runways using AFCAD, each runway has a different heading except two of them, i wanted to make all of my runways active using Jim Viles 'Star' technique, therefore i have created a load of small 20ft x 20ft closed runways mixed in with my open runways starting with 0 degrees and incrementing the heading of each runway by 7.8 degrees to fool FS2004 into thinking that all the runways (including the actual ones) are parallel. This does not seem to work. I initially placed the closed runways around 2000 miles away, now they are 1 mile away but i still cant get ATC to direct me to any of the other runways except the one the wind direction is parallel to. Am i missing something out? The information i could find on the 'Star' technique was sketchy at best. Any help would be appreciated.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Okay, work with the true headings provided by Afcad, add to that the 7.9 (7.8 is of course fine as well) degrees. Once you've inserted your runways, go to the runway list and make sure the list starts and ends with a real runway. (If you move runways around, you'll have to correct the runway link names.) It doesn't matter where you start, 240 degrees or 0 or whatever. And it doesn't matter if you add 7.9 or substract. You can go from 240 to 247.9 or to 232.1. The last runway in the list will be the "deciding" runway. In between you can have fake runways or a mix of fake and real ones. As long as there's maximum 7.9 degrees in between, you're fine. You should place the fake runways far away from the airport, or you might be cleared to one of them. I place all of mine at about 60 degrees south, 0 degrees E/W.If that's not enough, share the runways and their headings and your current fake runways, it'll be easier to spot possible mistakes.