Sign in to follow this  
Knight55

Micro Stutter at 20 fps

Hi. I am currently using an ATI X800 XT video card on a Pentium 4 3.0 GHz computer with 1 GB of memory. I was able to max out everything in the display section exluding the shadows and set my weather to 60 / 40 / 100 / Maximum with dxt3 clouds and I am able to get 20 fps even at big airports with Traffic 2005 set to 25%. The problem I am having is that I get micro stutters especially when looking down at low altitudes while in the air. When I set the target frame rate to unlimited it smooths itself out but it does jump around from 20 to 40+ fps per second depending on what I look at. The micro stutter is not so bad when looking to the sides but it gets pronounced when looking down. The higher the altitude the less micro sttuter occurs when looking down. What could be causing this micro stutter?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi. Someone sent a reply to my mailbox regarding the above post but I accidently deleted it. If that person could resend it or post a message here I will be able to answer it. Thanks.

I think that was me- re a similar micro stutter I sometimes see on my system. It is a triple monitor/triple view setup [LFwd,FWd,RFwd] and on occasion in heavy cloud or at night at a high density airport, FPS can drop below 10 and motion of nearby clouds or runway lights or buildings may display a "chatter" while the rest of the image is rock steady. Because the overall image remains so steady, the sim is eminently flyable right down to 5 FPS ! Generally, FPS ranges from 14-28. To paraphrase the cough syrup ad- "It sounds weird but it works!" (I wonder if the FPS calc is dividing the true frame rate by 3 since there are 3 video cards?) I'm assuming "object chatter" is caused by my ancient system (AMD XP 1.8GHz,1.28GB RAM & triple GeForceFx5200 cards) simply running out of steam. FS9 settings are mid range with AutoGen off. There is no WideView software nor TH2Go. Eliminating REAL stutters was accomplished by retarding the Display Hardware Accel slider 2 notches for the secondary (outer) monitors and setting Virtual Memory to Let System Manage. Another neat setting compensates very accurately for monitor bezel width and synchronizes horizon alignment in roll and pitch mode. (LCD & 2 CRTs) While I can't really explain micro stutters, what I can tell you without hesitation is that once you've flown with a 48"/100

Hi. I only have one monitor on my setup. I was considering retarding the display slider but with only one monitor it shouldn't be necessary. I was trying some tweaks and noticed that with the following fs9.cfg changes I get the most smoothness and least micro stutter even at major airports.[DISPLAY]UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=20TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=200[TERRAIN]TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=100.000000TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=21TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=4.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4If I set the TEXTURE_BANDWITH_MULT to 400 the scenery can load faster but there is more micro stutter then there is with that line set to 200. I have a feeling that this line either specifies how much time or cycles are dedicated to the scenery and the rest gets set aside for the flight dynamics, ai traffic, and weather. I have read somewhere that this line may have to do with how much video card memory one has and it was stated that for a 256MB card it should be set to 200 and for 512MB card it should be set to 400. My PAN_RATE is set to 400 but I am not sure if that is good. I read somewhere that the PAN_RATE is related to the TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT line in that one is some kind of multiple of the other. I can get around 30 fps when flying but when an airport comes into view it drops to around 20 fps so I keep it at 20 so that I don't have to see the slow down on the screen. The above are just some things I found during my tweaking. If anyone has any suggestions or tips let me know. Thanks for all the help and all the responses.