Sign in to follow this  
jonss1948

Bare Bones FS9

Because I have a good range of payware aircraft now that provide me a broad choice, aircraft vs flight type, I want to 'trim the sim' to its bare necessities. Viz: only the default Cessna/'s (this to retain the recommended start-up flight for the payware aircraft) and only the default flight in the 'Flight Simulator Files' folder. All the other aircraft and all the other flights can go, even Rod Much ado can take a break if it's possible. He and Mr. and Mrs. King for that matter. I pretty much know how to delete the aircraft and flights but the other program features, nup.So, bottom line, has anyone done this? How do you throw out the bathwater without the baby following suit?JonAdded: An additional reason to do this is because I have so many other mods, (scenery, airports etc.) that I want to minimise the whole program's 'footprint' as much as I can.

Guest Yak Yak

yup, my fs9 is super "clean." Before doing anything, you should copy all the files you will be deleting to a backup drive, just in case.You can nuke all the default aircrafts (i've even deleted the 172, and never had any problems). However, copy their gauge files into the main Gauge folder, espeically the DC3, DH_Comet, and the Lockeed Vega. A lot of payware planes call for these gauges. Also copy the Learjet sound folder down, unless you have better jet-engine sounds to alias.here are the folders i've emptied w/out having any problems:- FSweb empty- Lessons empty- Charts empty- Flights emptyyou can actually nuke a bunch of other stuff and save gigs and gigs of space, but it's easy to mess things up. For example, you can nuke all .xxx files in the UT/scenery folders, but do this only if you are done installing other sceneries. You can then nuke their folders in the Flight One Software folder. You can do the same for the GEPro folder if you are no longer tweaking stuff. Again, this gets pretty advanced and do it only if you totally understand how FS9 loads files. oh, i also do a search for .pdf and .doc files, and move them to somewhere else (usually manuals and such). The less files you have in the fs9 root folder, the faster it'll load.-feng