Sign in to follow this  
Chuck_B

Hide Only The Blinking Word 'SLEW' in FS2004

Is there an easy way to eliminate JUST the blinking word "SLEW" from the lower right hand corner of the screen on my client(s) computers while running WideView 2004, or while in Slew mode? I tried using the free Hex Editor "frhed" on the languages.dll in my FS9 folder, as outlined in another thread, but I'm doing something wrong and it's just not working. I posted this over at the WideView support forum Saturday night, but no one has yet to answer.The only options to do this WideView Control Panel itself eliminates all of the red warning flags, but I need to keep displaying Status info like SIMULATION PAUSED, and BRAKES, etc., because I've found lately that I have accidentally saved some flights on the client with "Pause" On and other bad settings, but I don't know which flights. Also sometimes I accidentally hit the wrong key on the client keyboard, activating the brakes and such, so I just want to hide the blinking word SLEW from appearing in the lower right hand corner while flying.Thank you in advance for any help you might be able to provide.Chuck B.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Caution: be sure to make a backup copy of the original language.dll and save in a safe place before doing any changes.==============================note: I used Resource Hacker available free at http://angusj.com/resourcehacker/This explanation only works on the English version of language.dll==============================Open copy of language.dll with ResHack (File/Open/ then select file.Open the folder "String Table", scroll down to folder "2339" and open it, then open "1033". You should see: 37408, "STALL"37409, "OVERSPEED"37410, "SLEW"1. Delete the word SLEW (you can leave the quotation marks behind). 2. Select "Compile Script" and a new language.dll will be made w/o the onscreen Slew text... or, Select "File", "Save As" and recompile per instructions for the same results.3. Place the new "slewless" language.dll in the main Flight Simulator 9 folder. Go fly and slew.===============================Caution: be sure to make a backup copy of the original language.dll and save in a safe place before doing any changes.edit: BTW, You can use ResHacker to change any of the on screen text in FS9. Use the "Find Text" option found on the View menu (or press Control+F) to search for text strings you want to change.

My gosh, Brent, it worked! Jeez, how on earth did you ever figure THIS one out? Even the developer over at WideView was stumped.Thank you so much for eliminating one of *my* life's little annoyances. You are a gentleman and a scholar.Smooth skies!Chuck B.

No problem, Chuck. Glad it worked out for you.Happy Flying! :-wave