Sign in to follow this  
ejoiner

alphasim Heinkel He-111

I read the article on avsim about the new Alphasim He-111. Shots were too cool to be believed so I bought this bird despite its inflated cost (42 USD) for a simple ww2 bomber. Anyway, its a beauty. Truly deserves to be flown from VC. Nice skins, great model. The FDE is said to be accurate. I can state its a bit of a (w)itch to fly. Accelerated stalls are EASY to get trapped into. She is a bit nervous in trimming too. Stall recovery is difficult at best. Stall down low and you are dead. No recovery possible.I know this is said to be an accurate flight model, but I wonder. Would appreciate it if some more technical folks would look at this model and tell me. Some of the behavior is a bit squirrelly, which could be right...but I dont know.What a georgeous visual model though and brilliant cockpit and VC. Im not a guy who likes ww2 bombers a lot either. Especially axis ones. Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Guest JBanks

Back in the summer of 1995, two aircraft from the Confederate Air Force visited Victoria BC, near my home. A B-17 and a CASA 2111. We know this later bird as a Spanish built 111 with Merlin V-12's. Beautiful sight and sound.I had a casual talk with the pilot, he said that the CASA was a bit nervous in character. It would hunt around and required constant attention to maintain trim. Certainly not a hands off flyer. I asked about stalls, the pilot gave me a long look and said, " Let's not go there."This plane crashed on July 10, 2003 after an engine failure while on final approach near the Cheyenne Municipal Airport in Wyoming. Both the pilot and copilot ( tech passenger?) were killed, the aircraft destroyed.I hope this bit of info helps. The Alphasim model looks remarkable.

Thanks. thats great info. It is a nervous flyer. Stalls at drop of a hat, and recovery is very difficult. Dont get it in unusual attitudes at all. Also no buffet in the stall at all.. just falls like a rock.

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg