Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Optimizing FS2004 - Gangbusters !

I've been doing FS9 for 4 years now or more. I love it. Ain't no way I am migrating anywhere else. I've shoved in a lot of aircraft add-ons and done some minor tweaks of texture and the cfg file and installed about a dozen freeware and payware sceneries, mostly of airports.I just put the finishing touches to my PC set-up. I recently did the 3GB switch edit in the boot.ini file, etc. to address a single recent OOM caused when flying the PMDG 744 into EGLL with heavy AI traffic. That worked fine.But then I went out and got some more physical RAM. I raised the RAM from 2GB to 3GB in my DELL XPS Gen 4. And that has worked excellently.The usage of RAM is fairly high with the PMDG 744 in the virtual cockpit. I have seen it hit 1.7GB around EGLL with heavy AI traffic using Aerosoft's Heathrow 2008. I read somewhere that one simmer in Fs9 observed a spike in his RAM to around 2.3GB for a moment and so it seems that 3GB of RAM can be put to good use even though the available RAM is actually only 2.7GB.Topping it all off, I downloaded FSAutostart after a long absence from this wonderful product and that is the icing on my PC cake. It gives me back some RAM but it seems to smooth things out and speed them up along with the extra physical RAM too.I've reached the limit of my processor, a 3.80Ghz Intel P4 given that I run my PC hard with triple screens and 15 peripherals including 11 from GoFlight including the MCP PRO and now their EFIS module. It's amazing quite frankly that it any of this works!But this is it: no more hardware and no more upgrades. However, if I never get another PC and never upgrade to another version of FS, I feel I can live with this set-up for the next 10 to 15 years quite happily. Enough is enough!JS

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!