Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ted_Thompson

Yea me...

Guest Albatross7107

This is probably pointless, and even laughable for many (all) of you, but I'm rather proud of myself.Just completed my first IFR landing using nothing but the ILS - Up to now I had flown in clear to moderately cloudy weather, but this time I hit fog while coming in to Martins State in MD. Visibility was around a mile or two I guess (I did check ATIS at the time, but I have forgotten now).Even in a sim, it was rather hairy coming in with no visual confirmation of what was around me - total whiteout. Analysis at the end showed me perfect on the glide slope, and with that I didn't see the runway until around 200-300' (I'm not sure, but if you've been there, I was probably about half way across the water at the end of runway 33)I did use the autopilot to keep me on track, but it's a simple heading/pitch type AP, not the beam rider that's normally in MSFS planes.I was flying the Beechcraft D18S BTW - god I love that plane!:(

Guest jboweruk

Yep, quite satisfying when you pull off that first lousy weather landing. Wait till you pull off a landing in a plane that's been shot to bits, (FSPassengers for that one), that's always a hair-raiser.I remember my scariest flight in FS was in a thunderstorm at night while flying VFR, the weather was fine when I took off in the early evening, but as the sky got dark a supercell rolled in and I couldn't go round it. The next thing I know is that the only time I can see anything is when lightning flashes outside the window. The pax were understandably scared to death, I was holding the stick like it was a life rope, and all I could see was the odd tree around 20 feet off the end of my wings. So to sum up, I'm in conditions no sane pilot would fly in, flying an unpressurised plane, through mountains that are higher than I can go.Thankfully the story had a happy ending, I cleared the bulk of the storms near the airport, did a pass over the runway and back round to land safely. What a night.Enjoy, you have many more wonderful experiences to come, but always, always check your weather for the route and altitude you intend flyign at.

Way to go! Another step forward for you will be when you shot a fully manual ILS approach and landing. Always nice to have new goals.

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

Guest Albatross7107

Thanks for the kind words guys. Indeed, either of your scenarios are not for me yet. I need more time to get a feel for this plane I think.The weather was a total shocker, I think what happened was I loaded an old flight that was set to real world weather. It was clear when I took off, but I think that when it updated it totally changed the conditions after I was aloft. About mid flight I also recall getting a "pop up" that was from MS9 complaining it couldn't get Jeppensen to answer the phone... So what is FSPassengers? An addon I assume...

Guest Reed203

When you are ready for a full manual ILS try using the flight director coupled to the ILS with the autopilot off. That is if the plane you are flying even has a flight director. Once you master flying the ILS by following the flight director bars, then you can just use the HSI or glideslope and localizer needles on the PFD. Good luck!