Sign in to follow this  
Guest ghrasko

FS9 starts in safe mode only

I am a quite long time FS9 user, gone through several PC reinstalles, FS cleanings etc., but now I am in a complete failure. I reinstalled the OP system partition on my PC again, but now I can not run FS9 either freshly installed or from the saved directory. It can be started in safe mode, but not in normal mode. It starts up, shows the introductory screen, but quits without any messages before the main menu screen.I had not changed my original hardware and even the operating system is the same. Other 3rd party software on the PC had changed a bit: for example Nero 8 is new.MSI K7N2Delta-ILRS Socket ATX motherboardAMD XP Palomino 200/2 CPU1GB 400MHz DDR RAMWindows XP Professional HU SP2 fully patchedATI RADEON 9600 128MB, ATI Catalyst newest versionSamsung SyncMaster 930BF LCD and SyncMaster 15GLi CDRCH Flight Sim Yoke (USB)F-Secure antivirusMS .Net 1.1, 2.0, 3.0Nero 8Ulead VideoStudio 9.0FS9 SP1After experiencing the problem I replaced the graphic card, but no difference:ATI RADEON Sapphire HD 2600 PRO 512MBSummary: in the old PC, old config, practically old sw environment (except Nero 8, and Catalyst driver version) after a new OP system install, and after fresh FS9 install, it starts only in saf mode FS9.exe -SWREND. It is the same with FS9 and FS9 SP1.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Is the new video card in a PCI express slot? Also, the bios data may have to be changed to reflect the new card.Also,have you completely uninstalled the old ATI drivers? What is the power supply rating? The new graphics card may need a heavier duty poer supply, i.e. 700 watts or greater. Have you tried other games/programs that use graphics acceleration?Ron

>Is the new video card in a PCI express slot? Also, the bios>data may have to be changed to reflect the new card.Also,have>you completely uninstalled the old ATI drivers? What is the>power supply rating? The new graphics card may need a heavier>duty poer supply, i.e. 700 watts or greater. Have you tried>other games/programs that use graphics acceleration?>RonIt is AGP card. But at first I tried the very same config, with the old ATI card. I only reinstalled the op system on the old hardware. The only difference is the ATI driver version, as I installed the newest one. And there might be some different sw environment, for example the Nero 8. Otherwise everyting is the same. I did not changed the hardware nor the bios config. Later I installed the newer ATI card and also replaced the power supply because of the higher consumption. But it is the same.Recently I installed FSX that is here on my shelf for a longer time. It starts with a black screen. FSX was also running - though - very slowly with the old setup.

Are you running a driver cleaner each time you switch around drivers?Sounds like you have a complete mess there. Sorry... AGP, old OS, new OS, Different driver version.Why dont you just start from a complete slick of the entire drive/OS and then stick with just one card until you can get some stability?

Two more ideas:Have you checked your Hardware Acceleration? If not, then (for XP) right-click the desktop, click the Settings tab, the Advanced button then the Troubleshoot tab. The Hardware Acceleration slider should be set to Full.Have you run DXDIAG lately? It may help you diagnose your problem.Regards,JerryH