Sign in to follow this  
Aviator81

Frankensteining planes...

Hi all, This may have been covered before, and if so, please just direct me to that discussion, but I'm looking for a way to meld the cockpit (including panel and VC) onto another similar aircraft... most specifically, I'd like to place the I-Fly 747 cockpit onto the new 747-8i by Andy Roesch. Now, I know enough to know that you can't just copy and paste the panel folder, though that will make the panel itself mostly functional aside from some big glitches, but is there a real process that will allow for the compatibility of these two pieces?Please let me know,Thanks

>Now, I know enough to know that you can't just copy and paste the panel folder.Well guess what? in some cases it is exactly that simple.Best to look for a post that might have what you need in merging these 2 together.If not usually copying the Contact points as well as the lights section of the aircraft.cfg will work.As well as using the .air fileFYI we in the community call it merging.And more will surely chime in with more suggestions.Cheers

Clarke Kruger - CYEG 

Thanks Clarke,I'll go ahead and start looking for discussions on merging VC's and such. In the meantime, and since you said it might work, I did try copying the panel folder over from the I-Fly 747 to the 747-8, and it worked for the most part like I expected, with most features working properly except some of the flight control surfaces (flaps and spoilers just never seem to work right when I try to put one panel onto another plane). The VC, on the other hand, did not work at all... It may be due to the fact that the receiving aircraft already has a VC (part of the reason I want to change it), but with the folders pasted together, the VC is mostly invisible, with only a few of the original, non-imported textures visible. I think I remember that the VC is part of the model of a plane, so does that mean that the only way I'd be able to get the new VC to appear is to go into the model of both and, in some way, copy the VC model from one and paste it into the other?Thanks,Greg

Well, after some searching, I've found several descriptions about how to merge two aircraft with VC's but they tend to favor simply bringing in one panel while not messing too much with the other's VC because the VC is part of the model and cannot be changed so easily. I guess then the question is why do people not try to merge the models in this way? Is it too difficult? Are there copyright concerns? Or does it just take too much time and the benefit is not really worth the effort? If I were to give this a try, what program would I need to use to work on the aircrafts' models in this way?Thanks,Greg

In FS9 the VC is an integral part of the aircraft model and is in the .mdl file. This means that is not possible to replace or add VCs unless you havew access to the original source code.

I guess that makes sense, though I'll say it is also highly disappointing. Thanks for your help in this issue.