Sign in to follow this  
Guest flightsimmernick

Frame Rate Tips?

Hi all,Since I had my new PC just before x-mas I have been trying to get it the way I like flying, which has meant installing loads of AI and some scenery. I base my flights mainly from LHR and LGW and I have scenery for both and have plenty of AI traffic. Now that I have installed a fair few airlines to make it as realistic as possible the scenery and AI have meant my frame rates have taked a bit of a tumble. Normally on my new PC I am getting in excess of 28FPS (capped at 28) but not at LHR and LGW anyone. For example here I am getting around 20, which is OK but could be better? Just wondered if anyone had any tips for improving the situation without removing the AI or scenery?Thanks!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I think you will always take a frame rate hit around Heathrow when you have a lot of ai aircraftYou have to concider the airports which closely surround it .I too get around 20 fps there some times less when taxing !I have ai smooth running and i have seen that trying to monitor 100+ flights when Im at EGLLI think the only solution to your (our) problem is in the answers you have already stated I know this wont help but at least you know you are not on your own:-) Mark

Thanks MarkYeah London does have an AI issue, but I love to get my FS9 as real and as close to reallity. I use both Gatick and Heahrow so have both airports kitted out but also have some traffic using EGSS, EGGW, EGLC. Just wondered of there was anything that I could do to improve Frame Rates here but does not look like it. Thanks again!

Nick- in the FS commands there is one- "Refresh Scenery". It pauses FS for 3-4 seconds, then restarts at full FPS. Very handy to invoke prior to landing or in a busy airport situation. Don't know why but FS FPS sometimes declines very slowly- hardly noticeable. This somehow resets to full FPS.I have "refresh scenery" mapped to the Pause/Break key for convenience. Very useful.Alex Reid

Cool. thanks for that alex - useful to know!When it refreshes does it start all AI again (from the gate & approach) or will they continue from where they are at the time?

Don't know about AI- as far as I can tell it is the same as hitting "P" but with Frame Rate reset to max and auto restart a few seconds later. Refresh Scenery also has an advantage for 76 year olds-gives a moment to collect one's wits before committing to land! :)Alex Reid

LOL!I have just tried this out and has no effect on AI but also has little effect on FPS (obviously because I have so much in London).Thanks Alex fopr that anyway - have a nice keyboard shortcut now anyway!