Sign in to follow this  

Scenery Library Crashout - help?

Greetings - After putting in a new OS (Win 2000), I went through a clean install of Flight Sim and my bush scenery folders (by author). All was going well, until last night I installed Bill Freeborn's NW Territory collection - just one file in it's own new sub-folder but covering multiple locations and perhaps 15 bgl's - added to the scenery library. This has happened before . . . it took the folder, and I re-started the sim, but every time I try to 'go to airport' or move locations in 'create flight', it crashes the system. I can go into 'saved flights' and fly or slew anywhere - even to the new locations, and sure enough, Bill's buildings and stuff are there. I just can't go through the 'go to' or 'create flight'. I know this isn't Bill's problem; like I said, this has happened before (and is often preceded by the system generating new indices at start-up even though I haven't added anything new). I've de-selected the new Bill Freeborn folder in the scenery library and it's still stuck.Any ideas? Anyone else get this kind of trouble? I always seem to get to some critical mass crashing with this problem. Someone had earlier suggested deleting the whole collection of scenery.dat files, which I'll try tonight. Is it likely from a duplicate bgl? (None of Bill's new ones conflict that I can see - where should I be checking?) Would I be better off just stuffing all my bush sceneries into one directory so duplicates can't occur? Or is it maybe very basic bgl names (e.g. 'Yellowknife' conflicting with the same file name in the root FS 2k2 scenery folder? - should I delete the root ones if they exist?) Any ideas much appreciated - I'm so frustrated with this. Many thanks,Ted K.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Ted,I'm not sure what exactly the problem could be, but here are two suggestions anyway:First, download and run Lee Swordy's new BGL scanner, available here http://ftp.avsim.com/library/sendfile.php?DLID=27881 . It will identify any corrupt BGLs that could be causing problems.Second, delete the 'INDEX_FILE' (no extension) in your FS2002 root folder. This is the scenery index, and FS will create a new one from scratch. I found this to have become corrupted occasionally on my system.Good luck!Cheers,Gosta. http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Hi TedI had similiar problem and used Lee Swordy's bglscan. The bgl nwtcamps_6.bgl and nwt2k2_6.bgl had errors in it. Renamed them nwtcamps_6.bg999 and nwt2k2_6.b999 and all works well again.

Many thanks for the suggestions - I'll give 'em a whirl. I also noted Lee Swordy's bgl test utility and will try that - with the vast numbers of files in this program, a couple are bound to be bad.Rmaining questions- if a scenery author uses a file name used by another author (for example, 'Haines.bgl' ) will there NECESSARILY be conflict(presumably they both address the same area, but perhaps with different buildings). If there is also a 'Haines.bgl' in the DEFAULT scenery, is that a problem? Or is this where excludes come in? Now that I have a bazillion bgl's in the system, should I search my FS system for the bgl's I'm about to install before doing it? Or is this where excludes come in? Thanks again, really. FS is my stress reliever (when it works!)Ted K.