Sign in to follow this  
BadKarmaPT

How to create 2D panel views

As the title suggests I am trying to create 2D panel views for one of my FS9 aircraft.I used the VC from another aircraft to create the 7 bitmap files (Left, front left, front right, right and so on).I managed to get the views to show but the colors are strange and certain parts are see-thru.:-hmmmDoes anyone know what settings these files have to be saved with to avoid this problem?I

Regards,

Hugo Bravo

LPPT

Guest DreamFleet

Hi Hugo,You might want to post this at the panel design forum, as it will probably get moved there.Anyway, don't know what you mean about "strange colors", however I save my views as 256 color bitmaps in Photoshop. This keeps the file size down.Any part of the bitmap that is 0,0,0 black in color will be transparent, thus the window areas and no other area must be 0,0,0.Basically, here is how I do such a view, in my case I use real photos, not VC screen shots, but the process is the same.1. Use 2 layers. The first layer is your view image, and the second one below it is a layer in 0,0,0 black.2. Using the Polygonal Lasso tool, which must be set with "Anti-aliased" UN-checked, cut out your windows. See Photoshop Help for more information on using this tool.At first this part might not be so easy, and it takes practice / experience, and it best to be zoomed in somewhat to judge your selection area carefully.3. Once all the windows are cut out you will see the black in them as that is the layer you have underneath.4. Now, here is how I deal with transparency issues caused by other parts of the image being 0,0,0 black.A. With the windows cut out and the black layer showing through, use the Magic Wand tool. Set tolerance to "0", Anti-aliased setting does not matter, UN-check "Contiguous" and CHECK "Use all layers".B. With the magic wand tool tap in one of the black window areas, and immediately all areas that are 0,0,0 black will be selected. You will see any other areas that are also 0,0,0 black on the main image.C. Go to one of the areas of the main image that is 0,0,0 black and Alt click on it with the eyedropper tool, or airbrush tool to select that 0,0,0 color.D. Go to Image / Adjust / Replace color and increase "Lightness" by +10, and that will lighten all those areas in you main image just enough so they will longer be 0,0,0, (they should go to 25,25,25) while not affecting the 0,0,0 black windows. If you want to play it safe, you can increase lightness by +20, and those areas will turn to around 50,50,50- still plenty dark.E. Flatten the image, save as 256-color .bmp, and that should do it.Hope this helps! :)Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

Guest James451

Oops to slow.... As I use a minimal system I have sometimes thought about doing this. AFAIK any true black on the bmp registers as glass/transparent in-game. As for cutting them, I want to see as much outside to the sides as I can with a hint of frame,seat etc in the direction I'm viewing. One of my planes has photo-realistic views 1024x768 big to the sides and 1280x960 big front and back.Cheers.