Sign in to follow this  
Guest joelyeah

How to tell that the airplane is properly trimmed?

Guest joelyeah

Hi~guys~I just started play the fight simulator several days ago and found it really cool~but after some practice of flying the cessena 172 in the flying lesson by Rod Macado in the game, i find it a little bit hard to handle the trim skill.the lesson tells me that I need to trim in a climb or descent, or if I adjust the airspeed, it's necessary to adjust the trim to get the proper attitude.I know trim is used to eliminate the feedback force exerts on the operation stick(in the airplane) However, I just don't know how to tell that the aircraft is already trimed properly.I use the joystick to play. when I pull/push the joystick to pitch up/down, it'll automatically return to middle pisition if I let go. so no matter the airplane is proper trimed, the joystick just remain middle once let go without telling me whether it's properly trimed??? By checking the attitude indicator or something else?btw, i use the saitek evo joystick.

Guest DK8290

It will be properly trimmed when you don't need to use force on any control and it will remain in whatever orientation you want (I'm not thinking of physical feel on a joystick ... I didn't know force feedback sticks were affected by trim any more than normal sticks). If the desired situation is level flight then the plane should be level without touching the stick/yoke or rudder pedals (altimiter doesn't move and vertical speed indicator needle is level). So if you are needing to push the nose down with the control stick, adjust the trim so this isn't needed.If you have it correctly trimmed in a descent or ascending situation, then the vertical speed indicator needle won't move but will stay at one spot. Your speed will need to be enough to keep the trim setting effective for whatever angle you are ascending or descending at.Since elevator trim is used so much , I have two buttons on my controller for adjusting this trim up and down. I also have controls for aileron and rudder trim but they are less used. Anyway, as a real fake-world-pilot (ie, I only fly firmly planted in front of a monitor), that's my basic understanding.

Guest joelyeah

Thank you so much for your reply~!!!!Your explaination just confirms my "hypothesis" that judging the trim by checking the Attitude Indicator and the VSI.But I just find it not so easy to operate it in the game. let's say i need to climb to 5,000 ft, i start to reduce the climb rate at about 4,800 ft and transit to level fight, but most of the time i need a lot adjustments like trimming or adjusting the pitch attitude. usually i just cannot perfectly get to a certain altitude i want(like 5,000ft in this case, i may climb to 5058ft). so I need more practice to make me more skillful and adroit to this skill, do I? Have you been practising it many times to completely handle it at the beginning of your learning to fly?Thx again~Joel

Guest RonB49

It is harder in the sim than in a real plane. In a real airplane the trim wheel is deflecting the control surface in direct proportion to the amount of movement of the wheel. In the sim trim movement is in increaments as you "click" the trim buttons or controller switches so it is harder to get it just right.Try this; when you get to 5058 feet, reduce the throttle a bit. As you do, you'll notice that your trim and you speed remain pretty much constant but you will lose altitude. If you overshoot and ent up at 4950 feet, then increase throttle and notice that your plane will climb, again trim and speed don't change much. The throttle is usually easier to control because most people use a proportional axis on their joystick for throttle.R-

Guest tango papa

When FS starts, you should look at the page and select the assignments for various plane controls, from throttle, trim, gear up/down, and many others. You should also be able to do the same for your joy-stick, setting trim, stick response, and switching views. Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like -M.Twain

Guest fullstoplanding

This link may help give you a basic understanding of elevator trim. When you move your mouse over the trim surfaces in the illustration, the paragraph on elevator trim will come up.Hope this helps some. In the real C172, adjusting elevator trim is much easier than the sim C172. Believe me. :-rollhttp://www.aviation-history.com/theory/flt_ctl.htm--Roger

Joel you might also have a look at the RealAir flight dynamics upgrade for the Skyhawk. It seems a lot easier to trim out to me than the default and just generally more realistic. It's one of my favorites, I just broke 200 hrs of actual sim time in my installed copy last night.RealAir Skyhawk][/bJim

Guest joelyeah

A million thanks to all you guys~!! really love your tips~~~~I'll try them soon~~~Thanks again Joel~

Guest The Captain

I've assigned u & d on my keyboard for trim Up & Down as my joystick is filled up.Interestingly, David Matby's wonderful BAC 1-11 has a windowed checklist where the trim tick goes from red to blue when the right trim has been applied. I also go to the rear aircraft view to check that the elevators have responded, before taking off.