Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nealoc187

Approach light strobes are too "big" when viewed from far away

(edited post to clarify)The problem I'm having is the approach lighting strobes (the "rabbit", the strobes that flash in sequence that "lead" you to the approach end of the runway) are acting strangely. What I mean is, lets say these lights take up a 1/4" space on my screen when they flash. No matter how far away I am from them, they always appear the same size. Which means that when I'm 500 feet away from them, they appear to be a "normal" brightness, but if I view the same lights from 20 miles away, they are still taking up 1/4" of space on my monitor, and in comparison to the relative size of the airport at that distance, they are HUGE. They're by far the brightest thing on my screen when viewed from a distance (some of you might have noticed this same phenomenon with aircraft position and nav lights, if you look at an aircraft up close, the lights appear realistically sized, but if you zoom your view out, the lights appear to be as big as the airplane itself).Does anyone know of a method to remedy this? It's driving me crazy having these giant approach lights visible from like 20 miles away as if I were half a mile from them.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

You can try some different halo.bmp files available in the library. I use hs07.zip and I like the lights now. I had it really bad with my LCD monitor but it is much better now. There are also some settings for your config file you can try-add to the "DISPLAY" section (smaller numbers are smaller lights)RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=.7 //scales edge, center, end,touchdown,runwaysRUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=.7 // scales VASI lights)RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=.7 // scales approach light barsRUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=.7 //scales RAILs and ODALs)Hope this helps.dolph