Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nealoc187

Soft Horizons question about use with Flight Environment/Active Sky

Guest Nealoc187

Question about Soft Horizons and using it with FE/AS6.5.I use Flight Environment's Randomize feature before pretty much every flight, meaning it randomizes sky, water, sun, and cloud textures. If I install Soft Horizons freeware, will Flight Environment overwrite the horizon textures that Soft Horizons installs each time I randomize Flight Environment - or are the files in question here unrelated?

Any add-on that randomizes sky textures would overwrite the Soft Horizons textures. If you prefer the Soft Horizons textures over those of FE or another add-on, you can simply extract my bitmaps from the Soft Horizons zip file and those textures will be back until they are overwritten again.Regards,John(Author of Soft Horizons)

Guest Nealoc187

wow a response from the man himself - nice :D I'm going to go try it now. I've heard great things... i've been flying with my AS6.5 visibility limited to 30 miles for the last 6 months or so in order to make the "hard horizon" invisible, but it makes flights up at the high flight levels look very hazy. can't wait to get some visibility back.NC

Guest Nealoc187

JohnCi - can I ask what other settings you recommend for use with your horizons? I did a flight yesterday with my visibility in AS6.5 set to 59 miles, my FS9 visibility set to different values from 50-80 miles, and I was still able to see the horizon line - it was noticeably better than I recall it being like before, the horizon definitely had a 'faded look' to it but it was still a hard edge, just not AS hard as it was before. I don't have my FS9 CFG settings available right now as I'm at work.Thanks,NC

Guest RonB49

What video card do you use? I had an ATI card that was a bear on this problem. I had to insert a variable named TableFog (or similar) into the Dispaly Device section of my FS9.cfg file to fix it completely.If you are using ATI, let me know and I'll find the exact name of the variable for you.R-

Guest Nealoc187

>What video card do you use? I had an ATI card that was a>bear on this problem. I had to insert a variable named>TableFog (or similar) into the Dispaly Device section of my>FS9.cfg file to fix it completely.>>If you are using ATI, let me know and I'll find the exact name>of the variable for you.>>R-I am using an ATI X850Pro, if you could look that up for me that'd be great.nc

Guest RonB49

Here you go. Find the Display.Device section in Fs9.cfg; it will look simiar to this:[DISPLAY.Device.VISIONTEK Xtasy 9200SE PCI (Omega 2.6.87).0]Mode=1024x768x32Insert this line:TableFog=0below the Mode= line.R-

I use Flight Environment and Active Sky and I simply can't fly without SoftHorizons! If forced to make a choice, I think I'd give up ASv6.5 before I gave up SoftHorizons. I use the randomize feature in FE frequently. To solve the overwrite of SoftHorizons textures issues, I wrote a simple .bat file to recopy SoftHorizons textures back to the appropriate folders with a shortcut to it on my desktop. Now, double clicking on the shortcut after an FE randomize has just become yet another routine step in my standard FS9 start up routine. It's an incredible time saver to achieve an outstanding, consistent flight experience.I'd be happy to share it so long as John doesn't mind. You might have to cusotmize the script a bit for the proper folder names on your system. And/or I could upload it to the file library here, but I wouldn't do so unless John OK'd it.