Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jet Ranger

PAD DH6 Twin Otter

Guest Jet Ranger

I have downloaded this lovely aircraft but I have one pet hate with it, as soon as the engines are running it starts to creep forward but when I release the brakes it shoots forward as though its at half throttle (almost) has anyone else got or had this problem as it is really P*****g me off are all their otters like this? or is there a better one out there (freeware) Please help. :-boom

Guest chief95

HI Jet,It must be something with your flight sim settings. I have that plane and I don't have that problem at all. In fact as I post this I have it ideling on the runway, and I don't even have the parking brakes on.Check your settings.Good Luck,Chief

Guest Jet Ranger

How would my flight sim settings affect the data of the aircraft Ive downloaded? Ive managed to find after much searching another otter & that works perfectly.

This isn't necessarily all about the throttle.I don't have the Otter, but I assume it has prop pitch controls and possibly high/low idle controls.Clearly you should read the checklist or the manual, but if there are idle controls, these should probably be set to low until you are ready to take-off.I understand you shouldn't operate turboprops on the ground with the props feathered as the engine can start to ingest its own exhaust gases. However, you should look for a ground idle position or keep the pitch controls well back whilst parked or taxying.The drill appears to be: select a prop pitch setting which just keeps the aircraft stationary or nearly stationary with the throttles closed. Open the throttle gently until the aircraft starts to roll and then CLOSE them again. Experiment around that FROM A STANDING START each time, perhaps with a bit more pitch until you can maintain a comfortable taxi with the throttles closed or nearly closed. At take-off, with the brakes on, push the pitch fully forward (or such setting as gives you prop RPM's below the redline at full throttle - again experimentation may be required), select high idle if there is one, release the brakes, gently apply 70% throttle and then, when rolling straight, throttle up to the redline.I'm not a pilot or an engineer so don't ask me any awkward questions - but this works for me!

ngxu_banner.png

Guest Jet Ranger

Thanks for that, I'll give it a try & see how I go.