Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speedbyrd

'STAR' runway observations

I added the 'star' runway configuration to many of my multiple runway airports but I find that it sometimes is a bigger problem than just using the 'wind influenced' runways. First, I find when multiple runways are in use, you might encounter opposing traffic coming from the opposite direction such as with KIAD. You would think if runways 18L/R are in use, runway 12 would be also, but is not. So you have aircraft approaching runway 30 in your face and if you have to do a 'go around' this could cause a collision.In a STAR system, the flow in the air or on the ground does not always seem smooth. Taxi traffic can get really confused, such as with KSFO. Using 28R/L and 19R/L ties up taxi traffic considerably. I found that by disbanding the STAR system and using AI Smooth, I have cleaner taxi and approach traffic with a minimum of 'go arounds' if I set AI Smooth correctly. I have it set to 2 minute intervals between arriving aircraft. Sometimes you'll get a go around at a really busy airport, but that happens in real life.Just an observation. Any comments?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I've actually 'flipped' runway 12/30 into 30/12, so that 12 is linked to the 19's (not the 18's). Then I made two Afcads, one with 30 take-offs, 1C and 1R for landings. The other one is 19L for take-offs and 12 and 19C for landings. 1L/19R is not yet in use in my sim, not sure about the real world.KSFO is a pain to get working right. I have three different Afcads for it. ;-DI dunno, you're either willing to tolerate some odd behavior or you're not. You're right, a Star is not always practical.

KSFO is probably the worst because of the tic-tac-toe rwy configuration in relation to where the gates are located. I've just elminated the 'STAR' all together and I find the flow is much better. While living in SF for some time and observed the airport activity quite a bit and found that in the real world, runways 28L/R were used for both landing and departures and rwys 1L/R were used for takeoff only during busier conditions. This resulted in the 'intersecting runway' which lately became a problem at KSFO and they didn't like using it. It tended to delay traffic more than it helped. At KIAD, in the real world, when rwy 19R was in use, then rwy 30 was used for landing only. when rwy 1L was in use, rwy 12 was used for take off only.