Sign in to follow this  
Guest aviation1972

All my Garmin GPS 500 screens have blank displays.

Guest aviation1972

I have more than 1,000 aircraft installed, and most of them utilize the Garmin GPS 500. Yesterday, I installed a newly revised Space Shuttle, and the instructions called for the modification of the panel.cfg, etc. Now, all of a sudden, I've lost my gps displays on all of my aircraft, including the new Space Shuttle installation. I deleted the Space Shuttle, and I went into the FS2004 Gauges folder, and I tried to get rid of the gauges that came along with the Space Shuttle. I've even tried re-installing the Garmin GPS gauge "cab" suite. So far, no luck............ This happened to me once before, years ago. It was something simple, but I was not computer literate in those days. Someone in a forum solved my issue. I cannot remember the details, so I guess I'm still not computer literate, ( years later ), and I still need HELP! .. Please help me. Thank You......

Exactly what "modification" to which panel.cfg were you asked to make?And do I understand you correctly that you did restore the fs9gps.cab file from the install disk?More specifically - you restored the actual cab and did NOT extract the contents of the fs9gps.cab. The Cab file must be in your gauges folder and it's contents should not be extracted.

Tip for the future:When auditioning any new aircraft, unzip or direct the auto-installer to a temporary folder rather than the FS2004 Root folder. Then, if everything checks out, manually move the aircraft and other files and folders where they belong.If there are Gauges to be installed, put them in the Panel folder of that aircraft, rather than in your Gauges folder.FS2004 will find and use them from that location (I have been told that FS2004 actually looks there first).If there is any kind of problem with the gauges, when you delete the aircraft, you will also be deleting the gauges.That way you do not unnecessarily clutter up your gauges folder with unused and possibly problematic gauges.I have been doing this for several years.

Guest ThrottleUp

If there are Gauges to be installed, put them in the Panel folder of that aircraft, rather than in your Gauges folder. You know...I really wish I had known that earlier when I got into adding airplanes! Now I have stupidly massive gauges folder which I know is just clogged full of rubbish gauges :(At least now I install new gauges to the panel folder like you suggested. One day after my next full FS9 backup I will have to do a purge using 3rd party software that detects duplicates gauges.