Sign in to follow this  
Guest CapnCol

Missing textures

Good afternoon everyoneI have been painting a few airplanes and have the following problem. I can convert a DXT3 texture to a bitmap which enables me to paint but when I convert it back to a DXT3 format and load up the plane, the textures are just black. If I swap this for the bitmap version, everything is fine.How do I get it to recognise the DXT file?I would be grateful of any advice.BTW. I am using MS Paint and FS2002's image tool.Colin

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Okay so I figured out that you have to have "reflections" enabled.Now I get a lovely shiney tin can.Please can anyone help?Colin

Hi Colin,you need to edit the Alpha channel. To do that, download a program called 'DXTBmp', available here at the library. Then, open your bitmap in Imagetool, convert to 32-bit, and save. Open up DXTBmp, load the bitmap, then select export Alpha, and select your picture editor. The Alpha channel is an 8-bit greyscale image which determines the reflectivity. Black is full reflectivity (hence your tin can), and white is no reflection - so you'll want to settle on a sensible shade of grey... After you edited the Alpha, save it as 'trans.bmp', go back to DXTBmp, hit 'refresh Alpha', and then save your image in extended format (i.e. DXT3 or 32bit extended). You may want to consider getting rid of the MIPs (under 'Prefs' in DXTBmp), as they can cause blurries.Hope this helps.Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Thanks GostaStill learning this art. Makes me appreciate all the stuff in the library etc just how much work does go into it.Colin