Sign in to follow this  
Guest Biffs

Configuring for Yahoo?

Guest Biffs

hello everyone. I first want to say congradulations Christian for creating such a great and exciting program. I actually bought FSX a couple days ago, just for tileproxy! i have always been a big fan of satellite imagery! So my question is this. I have downloaded the program, installed it and have started to read the manual, it says that you should be able to use many online image providers. Looking at the images provided by the various programs with flash earth. (http://www.flashearth.com/) i have come to the conclusion that i would like to use yahoo images with tileproxy. However i am having problems doing the necessary config changes and settings for this. Im not really sure if it can be done but i would love to be able to use yahoo images in FSX. I am having difficulties understanding all the things i need to do to configure it properly but im taking the advice of christian "get some help from friends and forum members." so if anyone has configured their tileproxy to use images from yahoo or if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks, Jeff

I too would love to use the Yahoo database, as it seems to have none of the extreme local color variations of Google, nor the tendency of the VE color hack to "wash out" the American SW deserts where I love to fly. The hi-res tiles are perfectly balanced in terms of contrast, color, and consistency, and have a richenes and realism to them (for the western USA at least) that would be stunning to see.I believe the problem is that Yahoo uses a different filing system than the "Quad Based" one that Google and VE are using and that TileProxy is designed to understand in terms of it's FSX interface. If this can be overcome or integrated into FSX by designing some sort of Yahoo "translater" of some sort is a question maybe CB can answer. Any thoughts?For me, the frustrating thing is KNOWING that such a consistent looking hi-res data base currently exists and not being able to utilize it. I would gladly PAY a monthly fee for to the "FSX Virtual Tiles Data Base" (provided to us by MS, or anyone else willing to provide the service for that matter) if it allowed me unrestricted access to a set tiles as consistently natural in color as Yahoo's USA hi-res tiles. This would be a dream. If these type of "consistently real looking" tiles could be extended beyond the USA to Europe and other continents the FS users around the world would flock to it droves. As of now, judging from the number of AVSIM posts/views it seems that so few simmers have actually tried TilProxy (perhaps because of the current seeming difficulty of making it work) that the demand is not yet such to have caught the attention of the major map servers. BUT...if the option to stream ground tiles via the web was INTEGRATED into say, FS11...as an easy "one button activation" that you could select in your display options (completely pre-configured to connect to the online database designed for such use)simmers around the world would flock in droves...and never go back. I can't go back. I'm hooked. If your listening Microsoft/Aces: WEB STREAMING GROUND TILES IS THE FUTURE OF FLIGHT SIMULATION. Period.

"We shall not cease from exploration...

and the end of all our exploring...

will be to arrive where we started...

and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

Guest cbuchner1

Yeah, I need to make the URL string a bit more flexible in that regard,allowing for more parameters to the string in arbitrary order.In one of the next versions for sure.

Guest Biffs

"I too would love to use the Yahoo database, as it seems to have none of the extreme local color variations of Google, nor the tendency of the VE color hack to "wash out" the American SW deserts where I love to fly. The hi-res tiles are perfectly balanced in terms of contrast, color, and consistency, and have a richenes and realism to them (for the western USA at least) that would be stunning to see."I totally agree! Thanks for hearing and considering it christian. I would love to see yahoo implemented, for now I will enjoy the service google and microsoft provides. I too am hooked! :)Jeff

Guest cbuchner1

> actually bought FSX a couple days ago, just for tileproxy!You know what I just added FS 2004 compatibility to TP ;)But with FSX you'll get those moving toy cars driving along major roads, and you get the 1m/pixel resolution. Plus all the other eye candy.Christian

Guest Biffs

Hahaha i just saw the post about beta 4! oh well like you said at least i have the future and upraded sim. Im just curious to see screenshots and peoples thoughts about how tileproxy runs on FS9, maybe the textures will load faster? i have a fairly old machine so maybe running on FS9 could be a choice for me now. Christian i have a question i just installed beta 4 but when i try to start the program a dialog windows box pops up saying "simconnect.dll was not found, reinstalling the application may fix the problem." any ideas on why this may be? thanks again,Jeff

Guest cbuchner1

Now that is odd - as my installer actually deploys simconnect.dll.Did you leave the option "check if you have FSX service pack 1 installed" checked during installation?Depending on this checkbox it either installs SimConnect RTM or SimConnect SP1A - and a matching Tileproxy binary. I hope I didn't screw up there - or I may have to pull (recall) that Beta release.If you had this thing checked, try reinstalling unchecked - and vice versa. Still getting the error then?

Guest Biffs

"check if you have FSX service pack 1 installed" I left that option unchecked. I havent installed service pack 1 since its my third day of having RTM and all the issues involved with the update. I have tried a couple times to install it and still no luck. Should i try and install it with it checked? anyway hope this helps.Jeff

Guest cbuchner1

If you check this option, the binary will likely be able to start, but then it won't be able to successfully interface with FSX RTM anymore.Checking this option might work for FS9 only users (who don't have FSX installed)Let's see how it pans out.