Sign in to follow this  
Guest kalch

simple installation version

How long before those of us not havng time/energy/knowledge will have a simple GUI or other interface to install this program which looks amazing?Michael

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

First I'm going to make it perform better and later I'm going to make it fool-proof ;) Okay, this could be considered offensive wording but that's how I named it on my TODO list.

Hey, Michael, give the author of this wonderful project a break!We're very lucky to have been given this capability at all. It's an exciting development which is still evolving and Christian will be the first to acknowledge that TP still needs a lot of work before it can ever be released in its final form. Yes, we would all prefer a user-friendly GUI, but until Christian can guarantee outcomes across the huge variety of machines out there, all with differing capabilities and broadband access, it would be very difficult to devise a GUI with options to suit everyone.SP1, as we all now know, has brought several new problems to the table and these also have to be overcome before TP will be working at its best. In fact TP is not all that difficult to set up. Heck if I can work it out, then I'm quite sure you can as well:Simply install Christian's latest beta, sort out the entries in the ProxyUser.ini (the info is all here if you search the forum), Load 'Filter driver and run proxyUser'. Load FSX and you're good to go :)One tip:To use TP and continue to use FSX default scenery you need to be aware that the default positioning of the TP area entries in FSX's Scenery.cfg give them priority over the same FSX scenery areas.All TP's areas (83) have a set of basic bgl files in their respective scenery folders. Currently my interest is focussed on only 2 areas and have spent some time (my broadband is slow by today's standards) caching all the necessary tiled bmp images in the texture folders of these two areas.As you may be aware, once you have cached what you need you can run the sim without TP. In my case, I prefer to see the TP results in my 2 selected areas. Elsewhere in the world, if you want to see the FSX default ground textures, or those provided by 3rd party scenery (assuming the TP entries are above this scenery in the Scenery Library as seen in FSX) then you must uncheck all the other TP areas in FSX's Scenery Library and leave your selected areas checked. If you don't you will see a bland amorphous mess of tiles when you fly outside your selected TP areas. To accomplish this you will need to identify the areas you are interested in. My 2 areas are around KABQ (TileProxy Photoreal World folder 0202) and EGPH (TileProxy Photoreal World folder 0501). This does require you to check through all the texture folders until you identify where the files are being cached. It's not too difficult as all the default texture folders are empty before caching begins.Yes, using TileProxy does involve an investment of time and effort, but the rewards really do make it all worthwhile :)Good Luck!Mike