Sign in to follow this  
Cruachan

Setting ProxyUser.exe Affinity to CPU #1

Hi,Extract from Christian's User Manual with Beta 5:"Dual core or dual processor users can try the following trick: Set the priority of the proxyUser.exe process to RealTime and the CPU Affinity to CPU #1 only. This results in faster scheduling of the proxyUser process and better response times to I/O requests. To automate this, you can modify the load.bat script inside the TileProxy folder to contain the following line instead of the original method of starting proxyuser.exe. However the /AFFINITY switch seems to work only on Windows Vista.rem Start the TileProxy user space process.start /B /WAIT /REALTIME /AFFINITY 2 proxyuser.exe %DRIVE%"Edit the load.bat file in the TileProxy folder. Look for the following 2 lines near the bottom of the file:rem People with Dual Core/Processors can try this instead (/AFFINITY switch needs Vista)rem start /B /WAIT /REALTIME /AFFINITY 2 proxyuser.exe %DRIVE%Remove the 'rem' from the second line and save the file.Now, for XP users do the following:1. Download imagecfg.exe from http://www.robpol86.com/Pages/imagecfg.phpPlace the file in the WindowsSystem 32 folder.2. Identify the path to ProxyUser.exe in the TileProxy folder. Write it down. It should look something like this:D:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XTileProxyProxyUser.exe(N.B. Substitute the correct drive letter if necessary)3. Make a backup copy of "ProxyUser.exe" as the changes about to be made to the header of this file will be permanent.4. Click START - Run, and on the command line type:imagecfg -a 0x2 "D:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XTileProxyProxyUser.exe"Remember to enclose the path to ProxyUser.exe in quotes and, if necessary, substitute the correct drive letter.5. Click OKNow click the shortcut Load filter driver and run proxyUser.Open Task Manager and click on the Processes tab. Right-click on ProxyUser.exe and select 'Set Affinity'. You will see (hopefully) that 'ProxyUser.exe' is now running on CPU 1.None of this is new. Many of us with dual cores dabbled with this in the early days of FSX (RTM) and also FS9. However, I thought it might be helpful to repeat the instructions here for those that may wish to give it a try.Mike

Guest triangle

This is as opposed to the first core (core 0), yes? Silly and confusing terminology ... :-)Andrew

"rem People with Dual Core/Processors can try this instead (/AFFINITY switch needs Vista)start /B /WAIT /REALTIME /AFFINITY 2 proxyuser.exe %DRIVE%"I've been checking Task Manager and have noted that the Priority setting for ProxyUser.exe is not changing from 'Normal' to 'Realtime'.Also, I wondered whether I still needed the AFFINITY switch having set it successfully and permanently under XP ( until TP Beta 6 ;) ) using imagecfg.So I modified the line to look like this:start /B /WAIT /REALTIME proxyuser.exe %DRIVE%Still doesn't work for some reason :( I can , of course, change the setting manually but, have to say, I'm not sure what effect this change is having, if any.Mike

Guest mz-cd

Hello,Yes can I have a bit more info on this.I have just installed a dual core and have tried this and do not see proxyuser as being realtime.When I enter the line in start and click ok it comes up saying the path cannot be found [cannot find image a],I am almost sure I have done everything right.What about this affinity thing? Some more help would be appreciated.Windows XP HomeAthlon 64 4200+ dual coreASUS A8N-E MotherboardAti RX800 TD256E Graphics RegardsRichard