Sign in to follow this  
Guest cbuchner1

Tips for good loading performance

Guest cbuchner1

* You should in the summer around noon time (when the sun is high in the sky). In dawn/dusk or when the sun is low and in early spring or late fall FSX will access winter textures or light maps also, creating much overhead.* You should use the new Tileproxy Beta 7 preview version.* You should own a Dual Core PC (a Quad doesn't gain much more speed over dual)* You should limit your FPS to 15 or so to leave more time for tile I/O.* You should fly with Level of Detail Radius set to Low or Medium. High is overkill and results in low performance.Enjoy ;)

Guest JJJ

First of all, let me be one of many to thank you for creating this awesome piece of software!Second, I've been having a couple problems with Tileproxy which I solved just now. My problems were poor loading performance while running a C2D E6400 (dualcore). I was getting about ~80/s rate.Installing the new alpha version helped for me. Having tried both preload=0 and preload=1023 I found the latter option to increase my loading rate about nine-fold. I'm getting about ~800-900/s now. This is awesome!I also had trouble with the Unsolicited access to by '', causing my loading slider to hang at about 45%. After some fiddling around I found that this was caused by nod32 (my virusscanner).Tricky thing is, "quitting" the program didn't fix it as there was still some process running in the background (confirmed with Process Explorer).My "solution" was to uninstall nod32. No more unwanted checks now, but I don't know of any other way to prevent nod32 meddling with TP.I hope this helps some of you who've also been having these problems.Good luck and happy flying!

Guest cbuchner1

I have now moved the "altitude" (priority) of the tileproxy.sys driver to be above the range typically assigned to virus scanners. Once I even placed it above the altitude used by Process Explorer (FileMon), but I found that a bit counterproductive. I was then unable to see the BMP tile I/O of FSX ;)Glad that you found your problem with NOD32 - unfortunately uninstalling a virus scanner is not helping your system security (virus safety) much.

I just tried the beta 7 preview, but unfortunately, ProxyUser.exe fails to start. When launching it via the load.bat file as usual, at the point where it would start ProxyUser it tells me that "The system cannot execute the specified program." When I try to start ProxyUser directly, a MessageBox pops up informing me that "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem." I tried the latter, several times even, but to no avail. Beta 6 worked just fine. I'm running Windows XP SP2 32 bit with FSX SP2 if it matters, and I have FSX, TileProxy and the Photoreal World folder each on separate (physical) discs.I also had a little glitch with the ServiceCacheBrowser: it complained about not beeing able to find F:TileProxyTileProxyproxyUser.ini on startup, and rightly so. Notice the second 'TileProxy' - the correct path would be F:TileProxyproxyUser.ini. This is 'easily' fixed, though, by adding a trailing backslash to the Install_Dir registry entry (which read just "f:" after installation).

Guest cbuchner1

Hmm, I may have to examine the Install_Dir problem further.Does it help if you install the 32 bit (x86) redistributable of the VS 2005 SP1 runtime? These are official Microsoft downloads - no risk to catch something unwanted ;-)http://blogs.msdn.com/nikolad/archive/2007...r-download.aspxI changed my Visual Studio project to use a DLL for the proxyUser code instead of being an EXE file. Apparently that triggers this application startup problem on some systems, as detailed in several blog posts I found.Christian

Guest jean-pierre peretti

Hi ChristianOnce again, a big thank for your job!That latest one is a major improvement in terms of loading time and crispyness; the fun in flying is back for me.>...>* You should limit your FPS to 15 or so to leave more time for>tile I/O.OK, anything anyway about FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION? Do you recommend to let it at the .40 value as modified by the install operation?About water_rgb, how could I translate RGB values (3 times three digits) into that needed hexadecimal value?...>Enjoy ;)>Sure I'll do! I do yet.JpPeretti

Guest jean-pierre peretti

OK, I'll get so the hue I need, or like.JpP

Alternatively, you can use the Windows calculater applet. Switch it to scientific view, make sure 'Dec' is selected in the upper left panel, and enter the decimal value. Then just select 'Hex' to convert that value to, well, hex.Christian, thanks, installing the runtime did the trick. Ain't those error messages of Microsoft's just wonderful? Why tell the user that a specific runtime library is missing if you can just as well leave her completely in the dark with some nonsensical gibberish... ;)

Guest Whym Junction

>I just tried the beta 7 preview, but unfortunately,>ProxyUser.exe fails to start. When launching it via the>load.bat file as usual, at the point where it would start>ProxyUser it tells me that "The system cannot execute the>specified program." When I try to start ProxyUser directly, a>MessageBox pops up informing me that "This application has>failed to start because the application configuration is>incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem."I had the same problem. Copying and renaming ProxyUser_RTM.dll to ProxyUser_SP1.dll seemed to work. For your SP2 setup, renaming the other way around might work. Anyway, you'll find either file in your Tileproxy directory, not both. There seems to be an error in ProxyUser.exe, when it tries to find out which version you are running.