Sign in to follow this  
Guest cbuchner1

Go look for these islands in Tileproxy

Guest cbuchner1

If you want to see the devastation that an active volcano can cause on a Carribean island, then fly over Montserrat. Google, MSN and Yahoo! have decent satellite imagery, the image on MSN and Yahoo! actually shows the volcano spewing steam and smoke still.The last eruption in 1995 unfortunately destroyed the island's former airport and the volcano is still active today. More than half the island is off-limits nowadays and the former capital Plymouth had to be abandoned. The island's new airport opened in 2005, but I could not find it included in FSX yet. So to get there, you can fly from Antigua, heading southeast.It is painful to see so many buildings covered in ashes or destroyed by lava flows. The pyroclastic flows killed about 19 people, despite early forewarning of volcanic activity.You may want to get a worldwide SRTM mesh first, or the island will appear completely flat to you.Christian

This post got me kinda itching for some refreshing FSX "blue water" motion so I went looking around a bit. Turns out that Map Service 1 has some utterly fantastic and very seamless coverage of the Florida Keys from about Key Largo all the way to Key West (about 100 nautical miles) with very good color balance (though perhaps just a tad bluish) and plenty of leeway for water blend_distance experimentation. The water masks work perfectly, and even (amazingly enough) most of the default FSX causways line up perfectly too! This was a great ride...Here are some screens from a flight and some notes on the ini settings used: http://edtruthan.com/tileproxy/keys/floridakeys.htm TP is just so gaawd awful cool CB...-Ed

"We shall not cease from exploration...

and the end of all our exploring...

will be to arrive where we started...

and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

Guest cbuchner1

Your screenshots are awesome! Is there any flight simulator related index or "main page" on your site where you link to the different screenshot / video / tutorial sections?

Funny you should ask, I added links to my FSX and FS9 screenshots and clips at the top of the "Quick Guide" main page last night...(my "personal" home main page hardly exists, never really spruced it up, I mostly use the domain as "a place to put stuff").

"We shall not cease from exploration...

and the end of all our exploring...

will be to arrive where we started...

and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

Guest cbuchner1

Just did that little island hop myself (Marathon -> Key West) in a T6 Texan at about 120 knots.I tried the 1500m water masks, but this would sometimes expose the boundary of the quality imagery. I didn't do the level mapping, so in the distance the islands looked a a bit strange.