Sign in to follow this  
JimmiG

Tried TP again, expected performance?

I tried an earlier version of TP some time ago. That was on a single-core 3500+ with the X800XT videocard. I found that with FSX SP2, I was only getting 40-60 TPS. With RTM, and fiber fraction turned upp really high, I was getting upwards of 900 tps, but the framerate was quite poor, hovering around 10-12 FPS.Now that I have a dual-core system, I decided to try again. Initial results are so-so.I get between 400 - 800 TPS, most of the time it's around 500 - 600. This is lower than what I experienced with FSX RTM on my old single-core 3500+ (2.2 GHz), but 10-20x higher than what I experienced with SP2 on that machine. This results in reasonably sharp scenery, but not perfect.-Does RTM still outperform SP1/2? Would I be seeing significantly higher numbers if I downgraded FSX?-Is my 2Mb connection holding me back? I can upgrade to 10Mb, maybe even 24Mb, but I honesntly don't need that much bandwidth for anything else - I usually don't download big files or anything.-The installer wanted to increase the fiber fraction in my fsx.cfg. Is this setting still relevant when using multi-core setups?

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest cbuchner1

I cannot recommend using the RTM version with the latest Beta 7 of Tileproxy anymore - it will not run reliably (lots of black tiles popping up).Frame rate vs. TPS trade-off is still valid, even on multi core. So by increasing fiber frame time, you get higher TPS but lower FPS. The other cores are all busy, but most of the time on these cores seems spent (or lost) on waiting for file I/O which is always done on the first core. People with really high end systems (Quad Extreme) and super fast graphics card seem to get the most out of TP, but I personally don't own such a system. I find my Q6600 quad core setup with DDR1 memory to be just fine for flying at 100 knots.The 2MBit/s connection should not be much of a bottleneck because Tileproxy pre-loads most of what you see. So we're really mostly waiting for FSX to actually load the data that's already there.

Thanks for the information. So purely for TP performance, getting a quad-core CPU would provide the biggest improvement? The videocard is already quite fast and I only play 1280x1024 with 2x AA, which looks good enough to me.I'll play around with the fiber fraction and other tweaks. I think it's better to look at the subjective sharpness of the textures than the TPS throughput. It seems the latter can vary a great deal over the course of a flight.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP