Sign in to follow this  
Guest karstele

How can I remove these stupid looking FSX Airfields???

Guest karstele

First of all:THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU . . . . . .Christian for this incredible tool !!!I'm still sitting, mouth wide open, while flying with TP along the coast of Maui, where I spent some time many years ago.It is so amazing what you made possible!Now, having said all the important things, here is my question:How can I deactivate or remove these unreal and as well often wrong placed FSX default airfieldtextures ???I know that it is not yet possible to correct the awful plateau-misplacing of several Airfields.(-->Fuerteventura for example) But I would be very glad already if I could remove at least the textures, that really destroy the look of the photoreal scenery of TP.Any way known how to afford this ?Could I simply delete the runway-textures? (backing up of course)Or would that crash the sim while loading . . .Greetings Karsten

Guest cbuchner1

I think this would work with so called "excludes" for a specific areas. This enters the realm of scenery design, so you may want to direct this question to the folks in the scenery design forum, or at fsdeveloper.com

Guest karstele

Thank you Christian,I saw a post in the scenery developer forum regarding this topic . . .I hoped for an easier way, than to exclude all the airports one by one.I tried the smart way and removed all the .DDS and .bmp files that are related to runways, taxiways etc... I was surprised that FSX didn't crash. But what happens is, that now instead of showing the photoreal runway, there is a black terrain in the same position where the FSX runway would be.Well, I will have to work through that "exclude airport" thing, piece by piece. Unfortunately there is no >All Airfields bgl File< for the whole world.Would have been nice GreetingsKarsten:-roller

Well, that isn't too surprising. Even if you take away all the relevant textures, FSX still tries to draw the runway and taxiway polygons (I suppose that's what you're talking about). But since it can't find any textures to apply to them, they remain black. It might work, though, if you don't remove the textures altogether, but make each of them completely transparent.

Guest karstele

Thanks Arista,that is what I initially intended to do - only to realize that I have no clue how to do that - since these aren't "normal" bmp.textures.Do you know how that works (Having PhotoShop CS2)?ThanksKarsten

Not really. Well, I think I do, but only on a Mac, using a Mac-only program. Since I suppose you're using Windows, that won't help you much. That being said, you can download a DDS plugin for Photoshop from Nvidia's developer site, along with a stand-alone DDS viewer and some other tools. Maybe that helps.

Guest karstele

Thanks AristaI have downloaded the little helpers . . . will see if I get this done.Greetings Karsten