Sign in to follow this  
Guest kurtj

scenery.cfg or fs2002.cfg

Guest kurtj

I was wondering which file to delete to rebuild fs2002. I have been having some problems with it like flightvisualfx error when I loaded the cessna 182. For some reason it would give me this send don't send error. I also have matt fox's Socal and California scenery and was at needles, CA at the time of the error.At any rate I took out scenery.cfg to see if it would rebuild and it gives me "scenery.cfg is missing or damaged please reinstall fs2002" or something like that. So which file do I need to take out so fs2002 would rebuild from the beginning so I don't have to reinstall?

Guest ba747heavy

Kurt --I think you are not going to be able to get it back w/out a reinstall. Did you make a backup copy of your scenery.cfg? If you did, just move that file back in and renameit to 'scenery.cfg' and your good.

Guest kurtj

I did have a couple of backups of the scenery.cfg and I did replace it. So far so good. I hope this has solved the problem. I don't know what happened to the other though. The only things that could have changed were that I have Norton 2003 on now, and for some reason I have been getting windows updates alot more frequently now and perhaps this has caused the scenery.cfg to go bad. It would load up fs okay, but after a while it would crash for no apparent reason. Could this be scenery.cfg or something else? I also defragged and scandisked using NTFS today as well.

Guest ba747heavy

Kurt --Could be a couple things. Perhaps a pieceof software you installed has messed with FS. Or, more likely, an addon in FS is causing problems. You should try deleting your fs2002.cfg(back if up first!!!) and allow FS to rebuild your file. Then go flying and see if that helps.If that doesn't help, then try to remember what kinds of software/driver/addons you have added or deleted.Kind regards

HI Kurt,'visualfx.dll' does become corrupted sometimes. You can easily replace it by copying a fresh one over from FS2002 CD1 into your FS2002/Modules folder (cancel autorun, then right-click on your CD drive, select search and type in the file name). Remember to delete the old file first, for some reason .dll files don't like to be overwritten.Cheers,Gosta. http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Guest kurtj

Thank you for the info. If I see that message again I will get my cds out and copy that file into fs and delete the old one. Today I worked on fs with a couple of practice flights- worked perfectly. No hiccups or anything. It just seems to do that sometimes, and it usually comes in bunches. When it works it works for a while to a long time. I have checked this by the windows xp error logs. I've noticed it crashed dec 15th. then was okay until march 18th, march 25, 26th had problems. I deleted the old the scenery.cfg and installed the backup one last night. Ran fs today no problems. It does sound wierd. Hopefully no problems for a long time. Thanks again,