Sign in to follow this  
skully

Screen Resolution Problem

I am hoping some good soul on this forum has some ideas as to why my comp crashes when lowering desktop screen res after using FS.When I fly, I set desktop screen res to 1600x1200 before opening fs. All is well during use but when I close the sim and the reduce the desktop screen res back to my standard 800x600 the computer locks up solid, can't even control,alt,delete to reboot.If I reboot after closing the sim without reducing screen res, I am able to reduce the screen res after the reboot, no problem.This never occurred with my old GF2 mx so I am assuming it's vid card related.Any ideas?SkullyP4 1.4128mb ramWin MEGF4Ti 4200 128 mb 41.09 driverssoundblaster 512pci

Guest ssurjap

You may want to download the latest driver or check to make sure that the specs for the card support that resolution.Steven

Guest FPSFREAK

Skully, Does it do this if you try to reset your screen resolution to 1024x768?. Did you just add this card?. If you did did you install the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard?. If you have done all this and still get the same results there are 2 other things you can try. First remove your current drivers through the add/remove programs applet and reinstall them. Never liked the 41.09's when I had my G4 so you may want to look at using a different version and see if you get the same results. Another alternative is to head over to www.Omegacorner.com and try the latest version of the Omega series drivers for your card. They sacrifice very little in performance but give back greatly w amazing visual quality and quite a few bugs worked out. I'm sure you've been told this before and this is in no way meant as a put down but you really need to get rid of ME. Not only will you be pleased w the performance and stability gains but the support is overwhelming for something along the lines of Win2KPRO ot XP.Hope these suggestions help.Bobby

Hi Fellas, Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate your help. Bobby, I have had this card for about 3 months and I have had this problem since it's installation. It came with older drivers and I upgraded to the 30.82's then to the 41.09's when it came out. I had this problem with both of these drivers.I did not install the latest chipset drivers for my mobo as I didn't realize I needed to do this after changing graphics cards. This is a gateway computer and they do have a newer bios for my intel mobo but the install looked complicated and I didn't want to risk trashing my computer.I will try your suggestions and yes, I do know I need to upgrade to win xp lol, as many have told me that and I will upgrade soon along with some more system ram as PC800 RDRAM is becoming much more affordable.Thanks again for your help!Genewww.JetStarAirlines.com

One thing I noted, which is just a shot in the dark, is that you only have 128megs of RAM. Just for kicks, I'd try lowering your AGP ap. in the BIOS in steps, to see if that's tied into the problem in some way.I am also curious--why do you change desktop resolutions before flying? Do you fly in windowed mode?Regards,John

Guest FPSFREAK

John, Thats a great point about the memory which I didn't even pick up on.Skully, Updating your Bios depending on the manufacturer can be a tricky deal or a relatively painless one depending on the board. When I speak of chipset drivers I don't mean to confuse you. If there is a bios for your board available check to see what is fixed and is it worth upgrading the Bios. Your chipset drivers install just like any other driver would. Didn't mean to confuse you w the 2.Bobby

Thanks for the tips! I will look into your suggestions this evening.John, the reason I have to take my desktop screen res to 1600x1200 to be able to run FS2002 at 1600x1200. I run fs in full screen and windowed mode depending on what I'm doing. Most of the time though it's in full screen.Bobby,I did confuse bios with chipset and I will check that out for sure.Thanks Again! :)Gene