Sign in to follow this  
htfc

In Praise Of Nhancer

Hi folks,Many of you may already use nhancer to enhance your nvidia graphics card [ as the name suggests ].if you haven't got it, don't hesitate to install it, it's made a HUGE difference to my display quality when running both FU2 and FU3. That annoying shimmering effect at lower altitudes is almost completely eradicated. :( I find using combined AA setting of 8 x S the best trade-ff between quality and performance.I run an nvidia 7600 gs and coupled with this new FREEWARE toy am now more than happy with my set up...... downloadable at link belowwww.nhancer.comRegards........Stuart

I installed it yesterday and tested it today. As most us us know by now, FU III doesn't instruct the video card to do anything. While most sims / games have a display configuration within the application this sim requires a dedicated or global set-up. The problem with "global" is that other sims / games may get your FU III set-up on top of the application's own settings, thus taking the level of filtering to the extreme. That's why it's a good idea to be able to set up flight3.exe separately and leave the other ones as "application controlled". I've tried the combined AA setting of 8 x S. It's quite good but it still leaves some shimmering. Which other settings would you recommend? I believe that vertical sync is wasted on FU III while anisotropic filtering is a good thing.Hans Petter

Hello Hans Petter,I suffered a drop in framerates over 'busy' areas [ e.g. Paine Field ] when on the combined 8xs setting for AA, so I've tweaked things a little.I have created a specific profile for FU2 and FU3, which I turn on manually rather than trying to assign the appropriate .exe file.Nhancer allows you to do this as an option.My settings are : AA Combined 4xS , Gamma correction on,Supersampling on,AF 16x,Vert Sync off [as you suggest],Texture filtering- Quality.These settings are still a big improvement on my old set-up. The nhancer help pages describes Nvidia control panel as 'cryptic', which sums it up for me - it was never user-friendly to me at least.Anyway, I am very limited in my knowledge of graphics tech stuff, so if you or anybody else can suggest alternative settings please share them.Regards ...Stuart [ England].

My settings are : AA Combined 4xS , Gamma correction on,Supersampling on,AF 16x,Vert Sync off [as you suggest],Texture filtering- Quality.
Yes, that looks pretty good :( Thanks for the advice!Hans Petter

I'm bumping this thread up since I'm presently playing with nHancer again. My new Nvidia 9400 GT card isn't using the latest driver (yet) so I can't use the latest version of nHancer. I tried to run it but it complained that my driver was below version 180. Well, I got the next latest version of nHancer, set up a profile for flight3.exe and checked it out. While I used to set texture filtering to "quality" I chose "high quality" this time. I also tried trilinear optimization on. Then there's Aniso. sample optimization, LOD bias and Force DXT3 for openGL. Will any of these enhance FU III?Then there's a tab for compatibility. Do we benefit from checking any of those?Hans Petter